1:48 with sabot and XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know we've discussed this before, but with Maryland's traditional season right around the corner I am renewing my perrenial search for a more modern projecticle that will work out of my 1:48 Traditions Deerhunter. If I can't find a load, I will hunt with my Bull Shop .5045 NEX, which are a great bullet but I do like a jacketed or all copper round for a meat doe. I've tried a .452 XTP 300 grain in black Harvestor sabot. Keyholed. I read on the sister site that some at least one guy had done ok with a 44 caliber green sabot 240 grain XTP. Anybody here have a similar experience? Anybody in a position to send me a couple to try? I don't want to buy a whole box if they won't shoot right!

I use 300 gr 44 cal XTP's out of my Thunderhawk and they are tackdrivers. I tried them I'm my Hawken and they were not as accurate as PRB or GPB. Honestly the last two deer and multiple pigs have fallen to PRB so I am partial to them.

Thanks. Is it an XTP Mag or regular. I cannot find that exact product
Those were regular xtp in a “mag express sabot” the bullet itself was a standard version. The mag express was what t/c called it. The 250 grain is a good option as well as they aren’t much longer…I’ve got a few of the 250s. I could send you a 5 pack to try and make sure they don’t keyhole for you if you wanna cover shipping. With a 90 grain or larger charger they should stabilize just fine

The 250 grain XTP is the longest .45 that will stabilize in a 1-48 twist, according to Greenhill and my actual testing. My T/C Hawken can shoot 4 inch groups at 200 yards with the 250 grain XTP, in a Harvester crush rib sabot over 70 grains of 3f Swiss.
This is on a calm day, aperture sight on the rifle. Chrono'd velocity is 1620 fps and ,zeroed at 100, drop is 22 inches.
The 240 grain .44 is too long and requires a 1-39 irrc, as does the 45 cal 300 grain XTP.
No worries about the 250 grain .45. It's extremely accurate in every rifle I've used it in and it's a wicked game bullet too.

Shot them for several seasons and they worked fine. You have to kind of push them hard, got my best accuracy with 120gr Pyrodex RS in my Traditions and 110gr in my Grandpa's TC Hawken. Recoil was unpleasant at the bench but no problem in the field. Good enough for groundhog hunting out to 100yds, at least with my somewhat limited abilities with a set of buckhorn sights.

I know we've discussed this before, but with Maryland's traditional season right around the corner I am renewing my perrenial search for a more modern projecticle that will work out of my 1:48 Traditions Deerhunter. If I can't find a load, I will hunt with my Bull Shop .5045 NEX, which are a great bullet but I do like a jacketed or all copper round for a meat doe. I've tried a .452 XTP 300 grain in black Harvestor sabot. Keyholed. I read on the sister site that some at least one guy had done ok with a 44 caliber green sabot 240 grain XTP. Anybody here have a similar experience? Anybody in a position to send me a couple to try? I don't want to buy a whole box if they won't shoot right!
Your Bullshop NEX load will work just fine on your ''meat doe''. It is what I use in my sidelocks for the Maryland primitive season. As you already said and know, it is a great bullet. Keep your powder between 65-80 grains. You will most likely have your doe drop in her tracks with two holes in her, minimal meat damage and no fragmenting.

In my tc 1:48 I got excellent accuracy with 180 grain .430 HP in Hornady sabots. It was a long while back and I don't recall the load. It was goex ff and was exceeding 2000 fps. It's only a deer. Put a 44 hole in the right place and it's dead.

I finally got out to the range this morning with the 250 grain XTP in a black Harvester sabot out of my Deerhunter. First shot on upper right was 25 yards, 2 close to bull were at 50. No keyholing...they look great. This was over 80 grains of Swiss 2F. This looks like a winner for me!

Attachments

• IMG_4048.JPG
    IMG_4048.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back