12 ga. SxS Shotgun help needed

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I came back from the panhandle to find the shotgun I bought was here. I have never had any dealings with a BP shotgun so here goes.  :confused: 

Questions:
1) The bore measures .735". What size ball/mold do I need to shoot a patched round ball?
2) If I use a plastic shot cup/wad in place of the fiber one, how do I lube the load to allow for easier cleaning?
3) How do I get tighter patterns in a gun with a cylinder bore?

I think I have the regular loading system down with the over-powder wad, thicker lubed over-powder wad, and overshot-card(s).

* I just downloaded the photos so here's a picture of it.

Pietta12gaSxS2aWEB_zps5f0ecaf0.jpg

Closest ball to .735 I know of is the .690 but you'll need a thick patch.

From what I understand from the guys shooting BP shotguns you need to lower the powder charge to tighten the pattern.

I shot it today to pattern it at 30 yards. I used 70 gr. 2FG then a nitro wad followed by a lubed wad, 1 oz. of # 7 1/2 shot and an overshot card. It was a real thin pattern at 30 yards with a 5" void right in the center. I moved up to 25 yards and the density was better but the void was still there.
Then I used the same load but inserted a plastic power piston on top of the lubed wad. The pattern tightened up but the void was still there only it was about 3" then.  :x 

Any suggestions to tighten patterns and eliminate the center void? I don't know what, if anything, can be done to shrink the group since both barrels are cylinder bore. I've heard of tricks to do it but don't know any.

i'll do some research, but i think you're doing pretty good for just a beginner, just takes time to learn and experiment.

Pato to eliminate the void you can try upping or lowering the powder charge as well.

Thanks Spit. I intend to lower the charge to 60 gr. and work up in 5 gr. increments and see if I can get a good pattern.

As far as tightening groups .. do you think that the group (pattern) would shrink if I used the plastic shot cups and encircled the petals with Scotch tape to delay the spreading of the petals?

Really don't know . Friend of mine shoot a shotgun and get best results using lubed doughnut wads and card wads.

Someone else told me that the real thick lubed wad makes a center hole in the pattern. He cuts each wad into 3 thinner ones and only uses one at a time. He says that helps. It also makes your wads last longer.

Pat,
Your friend is correct.  Each gun is different but in all of my shotguns I either use a half of a wad or none at all and just two nitro cards over the powder to get a good gas seal.  On powder and shot, general rule of thumb is equal volume of powder to shot.  In most of my 12's its 70 gr 2f to 1 1/4 oz. 5 shot for turkey.

GBJ

Latest posts

Back