2009 Mathews Monster

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCee67

Reaction score
Not sure if anybody has seen these yet. I just received the pre-catalog release guide on Saturday. They have 3 new bows for 2009. The Reezen is advertised as the fastest single cam made at 340 FPS with a 6.5" brace height.
The Monster XLR8 is advertised as the fasted 2 cam bow, at 360+ FPS, with a 5" brace height, or the standard monster is good for 350+ FPS with a 6" brace. Of course, they dont give any prices.

I saw these on the Matthews site. I believe they gave the prices there.

I saw their mail flyer at a friend's house. I noticed the short brace height on the bows; not real forgiving if you have less than ideal form. I might try them out at the local archery shop, but speed is not my primary concern.

The low brace height will make them fast,also wrist slappers too! Too much is put into speed. It's about 3rd.or 4th. on the list. 1st,is quiet,2nd is accurate,3rd is forgiving,4th is speed (maybe,unless smoothness is a must).

I agree with what all of of you have said. With the drop away rests now available, it does help with the forgiveness factor. 8)

It's all about market share. With the introduction of Elite archery's and PSE speed bows in the last two years there has been some serious bite taken out of Matthews.

Other companies are also on the speed band-wagon as well. As mentioned previously, brace height changes arrow speed.
In a hunting bow, consistant form is the most important thing. These types of bow's in an experienced archers hands work very well, but if you are the type that only practices minimally from season to season, then there are better choices.

Remember that Matthews is not the only bower that makes well designed archery equipment.

Latest posts

Back