300Grn XTP against 300grn Barnes MZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
At an accuracy stand point in my gun. The .45/300grn XTP clearly out shoots the Barnes MZ. The first three shots out of my gun were with the Barnes. The group size was around 2" at 100yds. The second three shot group was with the 300grn XTP's. That group was almost one hole. The third three shot group was with the Barnes. About the same group size. 2" again.

I moved my target out to 200yds. I think this was the first time ever with my Savage. I'm not real pleased. But it show's potential to me. The load was .45/300 XTP and 3.1 dipper of 5744.

0ddb0255.jpg

Grouse, have you shot any of the 300 Barnes MZ Expanders with 45 grains AA 5744? That is the load my HB almost lays one on top of another. I use the sabots that come with the bullet.

Grouse said:
At an accuracy stand point in my gun. The .45/300grn XTP clearly out shoots the Barnes MZ.

You really can't say that unless 1) you weigh all your powder charges, not just dip them and 2) even with 5744, have walked the bullet from 41 gr. to 46 gr. to see at that exact MV your gun likes a given bullet the best.

Just one scoop-loaded range session makes nothing "clear." :shock:

Loggy said:
Grouse, have you shot any of the 300 Barnes MZ Expanders with 45 grains AA 5744? That is the load my HB almost lays one on top of another. I use the sabots that come with the bullet.

The third group i shot was 45grns of 5744. I plan on doing some more shooting with them. HPH24 Sabot will be first choice next time out.

RandyWakeman said:
Grouse said:
At an accuracy stand point in my gun. The .45/300grn XTP clearly out shoots the Barnes MZ.

You really can't say that unless 1) you weigh all your powder charges, not just dip them and 2) even with 5744, have walked the bullet from 41 gr. to 46 gr. to see at that exact MV your gun likes a given bullet the best.

Just one scoop-loaded range session makes nothing "clear." :shock:

I just got back from the range again. 42grns of 5744 weighed out. Black HPH24 Sabot and a 209A primer. The results were alot better. But, not good enough yet. I really want to try to get the Barnes to shoot. I like the idea of 100% weight retention. :?

Grouse, is the Black HPH24 Sabot the one that comes packed with the Barnes 300 MZ EZ Expanders(long stepped style base)? I'm not one for remembering numbers. :lol:

Loggy said:
Grouse, is the Black HPH24 Sabot the one that comes packed with the Barnes 300 MZ EZ Expanders(long stepped style base)? I'm not one for remembering numbers. :lol:

The HPH 24 as far as i know doesnt come with any bullet. The HPH 24 is a easier loading sabot for tight bullets. They work great for SST'S as well.

I really want to try to get the Barnes to shoot. I like the idea of 100% weight retention.

Grouse, I really just wouldn't worry about that. Is there ANYTHING you are likely to shoot where the 300gr XTP won't do a great job? NOPE! Does the XTP shoot GREAT for you? YES! Are you familiar with that load in your rifle? YES! Has it ALWAYS worked great for you in the past? YES! Are the Barnes Expanders 500% more expensive than the XTPs? YES!

If it were ME...I'd spend time sending those 300gr XTPs to the target on the 200yd range and forget it.

If short range ( 200 and under) is your goal the xtp is just fine. But boys I am telling you if you want to go past 200 the 300 grs Barnes original is gonna be the ticket, just hide and watch :wink:

big6x6 said:
I really want to try to get the Barnes to shoot. I like the idea of 100% weight retention.

Grouse, I really just wouldn't worry about that. Is there ANYTHING you are likely to shoot where the 300gr XTP won't do a great job? NOPE! Does the XTP shoot GREAT for you? YES! Are you familiar with that load in your rifle? YES! Has it ALWAYS worked great for you in the past? YES! Are the Barnes Expanders 500% more expensive than the XTPs? YES!

If it were ME...I'd spend time sending those 300gr XTPs to the target on the 200yd range and forget it.

You are 100% correct :) As usual :D

Rifleman said:
If short range ( 200 and under) is your goal the xtp is just fine. But boys I am telling you if you want to go past 200 the 300 grs Barnes original is gonna be the ticket, just hide and watch :wink:

Is that the one i found ya :?: :?: :?:

Damn good advise here!

Chuck- we will have to call you EF HUTTON if you keep this up!
:lol:

Back