.45 Cal. Conical or Maxi Ball

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

concretus

Reaction score
Hello, I’m looking for a good conical or Maxi ball type bullet for my T/C Hawken.45 kit. Patched LRB are accurate but I just want to use them for target/ steel. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just learned something. I didn't know T/C made a .45 Hawken. Is it 15/16ths across the flats like the .50 & .54? 1:48 twist rate?
I'm glad you posted this. That would be neat to own.

Hello, I’m looking for a good conical or Maxi ball type bullet for my T/C Hawken.45 kit. Patched LRB are accurate but I just want to use them for target/ steel. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
The REAL conicals come in 200 n 250 gr, they are short n don't need a large powder charge to make them work well. In fact you can over powder them. I would say in a .45 don't use over 75 gr. 45-65 would get good accuracy. I have couple hundred cast n shoot them a lot

Yes it is n i have one of them.
As do I. After seeing Jeremiah Johnson had to have a Hawken. The .50 was not available but the .45 was at the local sporting goods store. Shoots 3/4 inch groups @ 50 yards with PRB over 70 gr Pyrodex Select and original iron sights. Eyes betraying me so irons replaced with a mid-Soule vernier and Hadley cup as well as front globe w/ spirit level ala Lee Shaver this winter. Have also acquired some real BP so excited to try out my "new rig" when snow depth recedes a bit. Looking to improve group and carry out to 100 yrds and more

I make Max s in pure and lube bottom groove only and it sits on a Dura Felt wad (dry) over 80 gr OE 2F and it works great!/Ed

As do I. After seeing Jeremiah Johnson had to have a Hawken. The .50 was not available but the .45 was at the local sporting goods store. Shoots 3/4 inch groups @ 50 yards with PRB over 70 gr Pyrodex Select and original iron sights. Eyes betraying me so irons replaced with a mid-Soule vernier and Hadley cup as well as front globe w/ spirit level ala Lee Shaver this winter. Have also acquired some real BP so excited to try out my "new rig" when snow depth recedes a bit. Looking to improve group and carry out to 100 yrds and more
The .45 with a conical is all you need for deer plus its easier on the shoulder. (lighter bullet generally and more weight). I'll likely be casting some towards the end of May when I get back up north. I have a .45 Maxiball mold and I can cast you some if you'd like.. Drop me a PM

Dixie Gun Works offers a 45 Maxi
The .45 with a conical is all you need for deer plus its easier on the shoulder. (lighter bullet generally and more weight). I'll likely be casting some towards the end of May when I get back up north. I have a .45 Maxiball mold and I can cast you some if you'd like.. Drop me a PM
PM sent.

I just learned something. I didn't know T/C made a .45 Hawken. Is it 15/16ths across the flats like the .50 & .54? 1:48 twist rate?
I'm glad you posted this. That would be neat to own.
I have a .45 T/C Hawken as well.

Latest posts

Back