.460 No Excuses in T/C Hawken?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatchet10

Reaction score
Anyone have experience shooting .503 No Excuses 460 Gr. conicals out of a T/C Hawken 50 cal. with a QLA. Just wondering how easy it loads and its 1/48 barrel handles this bullet. I'm asking because I already have several boxes and have used it often and with great results in my Knight inlines but I'm thinking of getting my first traditional rifle....

Unfortunately the best I can answer is.. its a turkey shoot. I have three T/C Hawken rifle and three T/C Renegade rifles. My 50 caliber Hawken will shoot the .503 Bull Shop Conicals "pretty good." What I mean is 70 grains of Triple Seven 2f, a cardboard .510 wad, and then the conical.. and out to 75 yards with the open sights I could easily kill a deer. After that, no matter what I am shooting with open sights.. I am not that good.

I have a second T/C Hawken that will not shoot them at all. Now the kicker.. I have a 1-28 Green Mountain Stainless Steel barrel .50 caliber drop in barrel for the Hawkens, that shoots them real good. I have a scope on that barrel. I could shoot to 100 yards with no doubt of hitting my target.

What I am trying to say is, you never know what the barrel will do until you shoot it. I might point out I shoot a .50 caliber Lyman Great Plains Hunter with a 1-32 (conical twist) barrel and it shoots them real good. Even for a flintlock I can shoot them well out to about 75 yards with the open sights.

I never was much of a long distance shooter with open sights. I am always in awe of these people that can shoot the long distances and get a group. Seeing their targets, I would be tickled if I could hit the cardboard backing. In my younger better eye days.. ok, I was a good shot. But lately I have been cutting back the distances I will allow myself to shoot with open sights.. because of my abilities and for the sake of the animals I hunt. But I do like to shoot long distance sometimes. I even get lucky and get a good group. Then other times, I hide the target quickly before someone sees what I did.

Thanks alot, I think I'll try it and hope for the best. In any case I also hope to shoot patch and ball. Anyway thanks again for your experience as I'm new to traditional...

I have tried those bullets in my T/C Hawken and they are not well suited for the slower twist. I believe they are a bit too long to really stabilize properly at that ROT. They shoot fantastic in my Omega with the QLA removed but the 1:28 is much better for that length bullet. My Hawken shoots the 240 gr. XTP in .44 cal pretty well with the green MMP sabot. YMMV

Latest posts

Back