5/35 SMc....Savage Custom shop...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Have any of the varmint hunters here looked into the 5/35 SMc round being chambered by the Savage Custom Shop in the Model 12 Low Profile Varminter?

This combination looks like one of the most interesting new gun/chamberings I have seen in awhile...

(More info can be found here...)
http://www.superiorballistics.com/5mm_v ... inting.htm

Give us the basics, bullet diameter,weight, bc, speed etc please.

Rifleman here are the basics from the designer...

JC

the 5/35 SMc? (5mm-bore/35 grains usable case capacity ? grains of water to base of neck). This cartridge utilizes patented case design technology ? case diameter to bullet diameter ratio and shoulder design are chosen to provide maximum velocity with minimum barrel heating and wear.

Meanwhile, I am using a 1/16 twist Pac-Nor barrel on my Savage Custom Shop 5/35. Ballistics and accuracy with the 32-grain Sierra BK are impressive, to say the least.......When one considers the ballistics, it is hard to see what could be better: BC = 0.22; velocity = 4650 fps.

Those interested in pursuing premium 5mm cartridge erformance can order a 5/35 SMc chambered rifle directly from the Savage Custom Shop: 1-800-370-0712. Cases are a simple conversion from 6mm Norma BR (22 BR followed by 5/35 FL sizing). Custom Lee Dies are available from this author or Lee Precision. Finished cases with the proper headstamp are forthcoming from Norma, through Russ Haydon.

jcchartboy said:
Have any of the varmint hunters here looked into the 5/35 SMc round being chambered by the Savage Custom Shop in the Model 12 Low Profile Varminter?

This combination looks like one of the most interesting new gun/chamberings I have seen in awhile...

(More info can be found here...)
http://www.superiorballistics.com/5mm_v ... inting.htm

Just got the new RifleShooter magazine did ya'?

Just got the new RifleShooter magazine did ya'?

Yeah..lots of good reading waiting for me after returned from Washington...(I sure spent enough time online looking at guns while I was there though... :lol: )

I think it is gonna be a pain in the rear. Small bore-high velocity-lowBC, not quite my cup of joe.
Might be a little fussy.

if it is anything like the 204 ruger it is gonna be alot fussy! But fun.

Jeff..are you thinking of getting one or just shooting the breeze?

big6x6 said:
Jeff..are you thinking of getting one or just shooting the breeze?

Just shooting the breeze...

Unfortunately, I would have too little use for a varmint gun right now...not to mention the fact that I have a number of gapping holes in my lineup that need to be filled first.

JC

Latest posts

Back