.50 flintlock Renegade range report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With the T/C aperture sight. A 250 grain .45 caliber XTP, Harvester crush rib sabot over 70 grains 3f Swiss.
3 shot groups at 50 yards.
1st- An inch on the nose.
2nd- 1 & 1/16th. Found the front sight to be loose in the dovetail.
3rd- 5/8ths. Did something right with those three!
This rifle has a FAST lock! I mean percussion fast. No CLACK all BOOM.
Swab between shots with rubbing alcohol.
This rifle has a TIGHT bore. It takes a LOT of effort to ram.
Next time out, I'll try her at 100 yards.

Last edited:
Is the flash hole in middle of the pan?? Mine was shifted forward when i got it (i've got it in the middle of the pan now).... The other 2 photo's i've seen they were near rear of the pan... mine had that little delay, but still grouped very well.. I'm really hoping pulling it back to the middle will cure that, i'll know in a couple of days
what powder are you using in the pan?? & what flash hole liner... (just curious).. Sounds like you have a good one for sure!! i'll have some null b soon as i can swing it,, the delay could be the 30yr old 4f goex i have (swiss 2f under the bullet).

Nope towards the rear and slightly below the horizon.
4f in the pan and an RMC vent liner.
This lock originally had a very poor fit of frizzen to pan. Quite a gap and no doubt resulted in many a CLATCH at inopportune times.
I thought perhaps it was a poorly drilled frizzen spur. I replaced it with another frizzen and it's now quite good.
Not terrible on flints/ agates either.

With the T/C aperture sight. A 250 grain .45 caliber XTP, Harvester crush rib sabot over 70 grains 3f Swiss.
3 shot groups at 50 yards.
1st- An inch on the nose.
2nd- 1 & 1/16th. Found the front sight to be loose in the dovetail.
3rd- 5/8ths. Did something right with those three!
This rifle has a FAST lock! I mean percussion fast. No CLACK all BOOM.
Swab between shots with rubbing alcohol.
This rifle has a TIGHT bore. It takes a LOT of effort to ram.
Next time out, I'll try her at 100 yards.
Can't beat that! I know what you mean about your t/c lock. Most need work but every once in a while you get a real good one.
I have one that I put a Lyman spring in. Its 1 coil longer but made a big difference in lock time. But really a bugger to put in place!

Latest posts

Back