.54 Grey Hawk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excess650

Reaction score
I ran into a .54 Grey Hawk and decided that it might as well keep my .50 company. Its pre-QLA like my .50, but I hope it groups well with PRB(my .50 doesn't). As "untraditional" as they are, the Grey Hawks have a certain appeal.

I have a spare TC hunting tang sight here (somewhere) to fit a New englander/Grey Hawk/Tree Hawk, so I'll mount it and a green fiber optic front sight.

I would guess that it will make freinds with your other .50 and they weill hit it off real well together. And after that it will become a good shooter also. Try 70 grains of powder, maybe Pyrodex, that what I shoot in my New England, they are about the same just different colors of metal.

At least it is a place to start, with working up a load.

I just got some .530 RBs yesterday, so haven't shot it yet. The condition of the barrel inside and out leads me to believe it was never shot.

No Pyrodex here, only REAL BP.

The Grey Hawk and New Englanders are pretty handy, even in a tree stand.

Isn't the TC Grey hawk just a stainless version of a TC Hawken? I have bunch of TC Hawken rifles and they all are real good shooters. I think you will like your new rifle.

The Grey Hawk is the stainless/synthetic version of the New Englander. I bought mine as a hunting rifle for an area that allowed shotguns and MLers only, and didn't have an inline or rifled shotgun at the time. The weather there could be pretty nasty, so it seemed to fit the bill. I like the way it handles as a treestand gun. I've replaced the front sight with a green fiber optic and the rear with a TC hunting tang sight, so still compact, but excellent sights for the woods.

Williams apetures will fit the TC peep sight and this will allow you to play with different size holes to see what works best for you. Midway has them in their catalog. Put your spare in the patch box.

I had not yet shot the .54 so decided it needed testing. I didn't like the rear sight so removed it, and then moved the barrel to my stock with tang sight. I had some pillow ticking, mink oil, .530 round balls, and a can of Goex fffg. I loaded 80gr and fired the first round at 50 yards. It was about 1-1/2" low of my aiming point. Subsequent shots were higher, but basically a ragged hole, so I'm gonna call it good enough for now!

Latest posts

Back