54 lyman deer stalker and 444 power belts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morris1

Reaction score
I have two Lyman deer stalkers in 54 cal one flint and one percussion. I just ordered 3 pkg of 444 powerbelts from Cabela's for 798 per PKG. question what would be best load to start wih in these guns. I am thinke 75 gr 3 f goex in the flint and 70 gr 3f t7 in the percussion. I think the 1x48 twist should shoot these ok.

70 would be an excellent starting point. Must be hunting Elk? I havent shot any of those 444's yet but i love the flat point design. What ever you shoot, make sure you put it through Bone so the bullet expands. The flat point was designed just for that. Bone hits and maximum penetration.

With triple 7, i would max it out at 80 grains, but if the recoil is ok, you can use a little more.

t4 lyman's

I am not elk hunting but the price was so good I have to try them. If the blow straight through a whitetail the hole will put them down. I just wanted some good advise on the load. They were 7.95 a pkg at cabelas's

Wow that is an excellent price. If its for deer, go a head and shoot what ever powder charge that is comfortable with your shoulder. I prefer 80 grains pyrodex and i think that would be a comfortable starting point.

I'd still clip the shoulder slightly to get a little expansion.

Be sure to get pictures when you shoot something!

I have an old fashion hollow pointer I may try that and than x the bullet I will weigh each one to maintain even weight. That will give me expansion. It always worked on my . 430 310 gr cast.

That would be interesting to see. Does it make an X in the tip of the bullet?

54 Lyman

No it just makes a hollow point I make the x with dremmel and a grinding wheel it is time consuming. I finally got thes bullets, They are huge I think I am just going to ty and x them and see how they open up in sand . I got 60 bullets for 30.00 with shipping.

Thats an awesome price. I wish i could find them for that kind of money

54 Lyman

I just checked the Cabela's web site they had them left 444 are the only one left 7.98 per 20.

Shot the 444 today 6 at 25 yds 3 groups toudhing the bull and one another I have never shot such a good group with a new gun firs time out. Load was 70 3f Shockley gold and 444 power belt. The recoil was light and an exceptional group. iI have pictures just need to know how to post.

If you use Photobucket, Just copy the IMG code and paste here in the box where you type.

Latest posts

Back