8 point with 45 cal Kodiak with Pic's and Video

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Reaction score
I thought I would share this with yall

I went to one of the swamp blinds last night(11/03/09) and got a shot but had a hang fire.
Don't know what led me to do it but I went to the same blind this morning.
It was moon bright last night and I got in a little later than I should have so I didn't take any of my luxuries out of my pack.I put on a primer,put the barrel in the rest and went into scope world.
My set up is very comfortable so I just look through the scope (on 3x) most of the time.
I belong to a hunting club (Durt Hill) that leases 4.600 acres 3.3 miles from my house.It is becoming very developed all around it.Within 5 years it will be developed also,so the survey crews come in during the off season with their heavy equipment and make beautiful shooting lanes and trails,thats where I put my blinds.
I never heard this deer come in,I was scanning the cut back and forth real slow getting used to the low light.
I scoped back to where I had just been and caught movement.It was a deer,looked to be a fairly big one for around here as far as body size.I never saw the rack (I have a doe tag so it didn't matter),The deer had it's head down quartering to me.
I later ranged it at 52 yards.With it's head down I could see where the neck meets the shoulders.I settled the crosshairs on that spot and squeezed the trigger.There was no hangfire this time.
I forced myself to not flinch and remain on target as the smoke cleared.
The deer dropped right in it's tracks,there was no sign of any struggle.
I couldn't figure out the timer on my daughters camera but I did shoot a video with it

CVA Kodiak Magnum/SS fluted / 45 cal
3x9x50 simmons scope
90 grn BH 209
Precision Rifles 195 grn Dead Center
CCIm 209 primer
52 yars neck shot

8pointbuck.jpg

Meholding8point.jpg

Time for the chores to begin.
I have a Jeep Gambrel
I called a friend in Canada and he talked me through the caping
Thank's Don :D

JeepGambrel.jpg

All done.

Mewithbuck1.jpg

Here is a video I took with the camera

https://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n12/saxman_1/?action=view&current=buckvideo.flv

Congrads :cheers: saxman on a beautiful, healthy looking buck!!! That's one for us .45er! Great job on the video.

Nice color on the antlers too :)

Beautiful buck sax! Its fun filming the hunts, isnt it?!! Awesome jeep too, i like that.

Thanks guy's
i am very proud of him.He will be my first to be mounted.
I shot a 9 point year before last.took him to a friend who does mounting for a hobby.
His home and shop was broken into and all the racks were taken.
This guy makes up for it.

sqezer said:
Sax, great looking buck. To bad your other one got stolen.
I was so upset about the other one
I have come to feel that maybe the guy wasn't completly truthful with me but I cant prove it.
He now sells antlers for arts and craft projects,imagine that.
Here he is
He's a main frame 8 with a split right brow tine
i got him Thanksgiving day with a Marlin 336 in 30/30

buck-2.jpg

buck2.jpg

thats a great deer sax. I love how it has the split browtine. If you have second guesses about the guy, move on to another. Its not worth the worry of ( will i get it back this time?) To much stress!

Latest posts

Back