American Pioneer Likes- Dislikes.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do other bullets (other than Poweerbelt) work as well with 100 grains of the APP out of the CVA Hawken/Mountain?

All ive tried in the hawken & mountain rifle were round balls and powerbelts. The thors didnt fit :(

After shooting 3 shots in the cva mountain rifle, it was time to clean.
Nipple after 3 shots with APP was pretty clean, not a thick build up like i normally get with RS.
Accura101.jpg

The Drum though had a lot of crusty build up inside of it so i want to shoot around 6 shots tomorrow and see if i have any trouble with hang fires or powder not getting into the drum because of the build up.
Accura103.jpg

Cleaned it with one t shirt patch and a bucket of hot soapy water, 5 dry patches and a few paper towel patches to be sure, and i was finished. Very little soot on the outside of the rifle, mostly from the #11 mag percussion caps.

100 yards will be in the works tomorrow.

Excellent day for shooting! I took the cva mountain rifle out again with patched round balls, but this time to 100 yards. My first shot blew over the target, waaaay high. I adjusted the sights 2 clicks down and it was about 4" low of the bulls eye. I took another shot and ended up with a 4" 2 shot group group. Not to bad for a rifle that has a fast 1:32 twist. I found some wads that i will try tomorrow and see if it tightens the group up any. Patches were torn up pretty good.
mountainrifle100y003.jpg

mountainrifle100y004.jpg

mountainrifle100y008.jpg

One of my other problems was the sun. It was halfway across my target and made it hard to see until the sun finally went down.
mountainrifle100y007.jpg

Home cast .490 round ball. This was made from lead pipe that Marty sent to me.
mountainrifle100y010.jpg

mountainrifle100y011.jpg

that rifle looks like my cheap cva bobcat ..but i have a 1:48 twist...nice lead pattie

I forgot to post this pic. I used the CCI Inline MZL primers on this round, 3 shots and the fouling it left at the muzzle was.... as you can see, pretty thick and crusty. Remington STS primers are super clean though.
accura29569w001-1.jpg

:D :cheers: :bounce:

FG, that will be gone with the spit swab. That happens to me also but it's no problem. Once or twice with a spit swab and it's gone :!: :!: :cheers: :cheers:

Latest posts

Back