Anyone Reload 300 WSM ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlaskaStillwaterBows

Reaction score
Bought a Lee collete die, discovered it neck sizes only. I cant chamber a loaded round in my Winchester xpr rifle. Saw a guy on youtube had same issue, he had to buy a rcbs small base full length resize die. They discontiued those die sets. He had issue with a normal rcbs fl die set.

Should I buy a Redding Body full length size die to try .

I have had this happen a couple of times over the years with RCBS and Redding Full Length Dies, The problem was after adjusting ALL i could, the FL Die was stil NOT “Bumping“ the Shoulder back Slightly, The EASY fix for this is to Mill off .003-.004 off the Top of the Shell Holder (Much Cheaper than the Bottom of the FL Die) then readjust FL Die Per instructions, Keep adjusting til you get the Case Shoulder to ”Bump” Back .002 or there close abouts and your Brass Chambers nicely in your Rifle. You don’t want to Overwork your Brass, .002 Shoulder Bump is usually Plenty :lewis:

Last edited:
I dont have a mill, could I use a file to do that in a vise ?

I cant beleive the manufacturers have not addressed this issue
Since so many people have the issue. I have read the chamber in winchester rifles have a short chamber (less freebore).

Thanks for the info.

I dont have a mill, could I use a file to do that in a vise ?

I cant beleive the manufacturers have not addressed this issue
Since so many people have the issue. I have read the chamber in winchester rifles have a short chamber (less freebore).

Thanks for the info.

Yep you can do it with a File, Just keep it as straight as Possible, You don’t need to Remove much, Measure the Shell holder before you start, Go slow & Check often, .005 Should be More than enough.

Two thing could be going on, one as Idaholewis said that the shoulder is not being bumped back enough which a standard body die should do when adjusted properly, but you need to know how to measure shoulder bump(think youtube). The other is that the web area(base of the case) isn't being resized enough and this is what the small base die corrects. An easy way to find out is the color the case with Dymech or color it with a black sharpie marker the try to chamber it then see where it has rubbed off the black and that will tell you where it is a clearance issue.

Correct , I think its a combination of both. I own the case comparator that hornady sells. I think the base is .001 to .002 off and the shoulder isnt being bumped back far enough. I need to order that FL sizing die.Thats a fat cartridge and pretty steep shoulder.

Bought a Lee collete die, discovered it neck sizes only. I cant chamber a loaded round in my Winchester xpr rifle. Saw a guy on youtube had same issue, he had to buy a rcbs small base full length resize die. They discontiued those die sets. He had issue with a normal rcbs fl die set.

Since the Lee Collet die is designed to only size the neck, you are going to need another die to size the rest of the case.

I use the Lee Collet die in my competition 6BR.

I use a Lee 6PPC collet die to size the neck. It is a great die, since it squeezes the brass onto a mandrel. It only sizes the inside of the neck, which is where the bullet sits.
Then I use a 6BR Body die to barely bump the shoulder of the case.

This combination has produced the best accuracy in my rifles.

Attachments

• JoeGroundHogshoot2017.jpg
    JoeGroundHogshoot2017.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 7
I have a brand new (still wrapped in plastic) never been used Hornady 300 Win Short Mag 2 die set.
series 1
item 544369
use shell holder 35
paid 27.99
It says full length
you interested?

The other things that it could be is overlooked by many inexperienced reloaders: case length and cartridge overall length.

If the case is too long, it will hit the shoulder of the throat and you will experience the same thing. Be sure to measure case lengths and trim back under SAAMI max case length.

Check to be sure that you are seating the bullets deep enough not to be jamming into the rifling before the case is fully chambered.

Thanks for the info, I did check all that, it was once fired brass and bullets were seated to spec. I'm sure it's a short throat in that rifle.

You can also try turning the die down a little more in the press. It will cause the "Breakover" you feel in the handle to be harder but this can cause you to set the shoulder back a little more. Aslo I have switched the shell holder and found a different brand to be a little thinner so I could then turn the die in a little more. We did this a lot in custom benchrest competition rifle reloading. We adjusted the dies down only enough to set the shoulders back just enough that the bolt handle had minimal drag when closing.

The other things that it could be is overlooked by many inexperienced reloaders: case length and cartridge overall length.

If the case is too long, it will hit the shoulder of the throat and you will experience the same thing. Be sure to measure case lengths and trim back under SAAMI max case length.

Check to be sure that you are seating the bullets deep enough not to be jamming into the rifling before the case is fully chambered.
I was going to mention this as well. When I built my .308 I used a match reamer. It has a bit shorter neck than an off the shelf .308. I have to be very aware of my over all case length. I don't reload for .300 WSM but load for the .270 WSM and just use a standard Lyman FL die set. I set all my dies so my press cams over. I could get longer brass life and a bit more accuracy if I just bumped the shoulders but I am a hunter and don't want that tight of tolerance. It only takes one time having a round not chamber in the field to decide that.

Latest posts

Back