Are 50 cal bullets exiting the game???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxbrake1

Reaction score
Are most of you finding that the 50 cal powerbelt bullets exit the game regardless of what angle they enter? Copper or lead?COMMENT!!!
I rarely see any comments about the bullets exiting the game and if they don't what type of damage/penetration are they producing?
I am in Colorado and cannot use sabots for black powder season. I recently bought a new TC Pro Hunter in 50 cal stainless after shooting a friends gun and loved the recoil reduction, trigger and the 209 primer.
I built a TC Hawken many years ago and I would not drag it out hunting because of the weight and the recoil and the weather problems encountered by other hunters. The "inline" has opened up new hunting seasons for me.
Bottom line: I believe that any heavy SOLID 50 cal load will pass through most Colorado game. I am hoping that the hollow point Powerbelt will leave all of it's energy in the game. I am getting to old to trail wounded game all over the mountains at 9000 feet. Thanks for any input.
Roger

Every deer we have shot in our group of 3, have exited, Except for the 225gr Powerbelt that i put through both shoulders. That one also traveled the least amount of distance and bled out fast.

In colorado, We can use the Biiiiiig 444gr FP powerbelt. I wish they'd get rid of that stupid 1" rule, Who in the hell comes up with that crap?

Be sure to take the time to look through the tested bullets and learn what powder charges/Bullet weights are safe for deer/elk.

And welcome to the forum! Im only about 3 hours south of you.

I shot a big doe last deer season using the 295 grain hollow point and the bullet stopped just under the skin after passing thru the deer . She dropped in her tracks. This year the 295 grain AeroTip will be my bullet of choice.

I had the same thing happen with a doe she was at 30-35 yards and i had 90 gr. of pyrodex rs,,, the problem has been solved on this forum (if you call a dead deer that you do not have to track with 1 hole a problem) at close range do not over power the pb bullets they will fragment. inside the deer

i am pushing the limit with 90 gr. of rs with that power belt hollow point copper series...
the groups are really nice and with the wind here and the ranges i shoot i feel i need it....

what is the 1" rule?

Frontier Gander you mentioned a 1" rule in Colorado. What are you referring to? I am going on a muzzleloader elk hunt in Colorado this fall. I am planning on using the 338 grain platinum power belt. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated.

The length of the projectile can not exceed twice the bores Diameter. .50cal = 1" maximum. I have no clue what they were thinking and neither do they!

338gr with 100gr Pyrodex is a great load! I tested some this week and was very happy with the results.

Latest posts

Back