Barnes Muzzy bullets,

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning gents.

I appreciate the Barnes bullet info on Powder Valley. I have a question.

I own the original Remington 50cal 700ML. After a bolt/breech plug upgrade from Tom at Badger Ridge, a nice laminated stock from Boyd's and a Timney trigger job I've been very pleased with the outcome. Both TC Maxi-ball and Hornady Great Plains shoot very accurately. The Honady 385gr GPB is devastating on deer.

If I were to try the Barnes offerings in 50cal which do you think would be best to try based on my rifle and twist rate. I'm also currently running 85grV of Black Horn 209 for both bullets mentioned.

As always, be safe and thank you in advance for your assistance.

SHADOWFOX64

FB - Flat Base BUTT!!! I doubt if there is much of any difference between the two.

I just ordered two of the 24 count packs of the 290gr BT - Boat Tails, just to find out.
I have a few hundred of the FB.
I'll send you six (6) of each when I get the BTs.
My KARMA needs a boost.

Thank you and I certainly appreciate your generosity! I just wanted to be sure since they only offered the 290gr in the boat tail model. In the interim, I'll order the 290gr BT in .451 diameter and give them a try.

SHADOWFOX64

FB - Flat Base BUTT!!! I doubt if there is much of any difference between the two.

I just ordered two of the 24 count packs of the 290gr BT - Boat Tails, just to find out.
I have a few hundred of the FB.
I'll send you six (6) of each when I get the BTs.
My KARMA needs a boost.
There is no noticeable difference between the two. However the TMZ comes with a little larger diameter sabot that you will need to account for. The TMZ will work fine in a sabot meant for a flat based bullet.

You can’t beat Barnes muzzy bullets. I took an eight point at 130 yards using a 250gr TEZ. Bullet clipped the left shoulder, went through the right shoulder and lodged under the hide. Mushroomed perfectly and weighed 247grs

Attachments

• 72D7F7FB-13D4-434F-97BA-32CF85F648A2.jpeg
    72D7F7FB-13D4-434F-97BA-32CF85F648A2.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Thanks to all of you for your input. Just trying to save a dollar if possible and narrow the selection down. Again this original Rem runs great with the Hornady 385gr GPB with a wonder wad and 85grV of BH 209 as you can see here.

Another ML friend really bragged on those Barnes ML bullets in his original Rem 700 ML with under an inch groups (scoped) at 100yds He just couldn't remember the weight/bullet model.

Attachments

• 20221124_102615.jpg
    20221124_102615.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
This is an XPB, 225 grain, .44 cal that traveled from the front shoulder diagonally thru a large doe and settled just under the hide about 3" from the poop chute. This was shot from my Optima pistol using 63 weighed grains of Bh209, 90 [v], in a plain green sabot. Distance was about 32 yards. Out of maybe 30 deer taken with an XPB bullet this is the first to be recovered, all others passed thru.

23200-72a14fb0f2033e2f5f14532fc87e0d2b.jpg

Good morning gents.

I appreciate the Barnes bullet info on Powder Valley. I have a question.

I own the original Remington 50cal 700ML. After a bolt/breech plug upgrade from Tom at Badger Ridge, a nice laminated stock from Boyd's and a Timney trigger job I've been very pleased with the outcome. Both TC Maxi-ball and Hornady Great Plains shoot very accurately. The Honady 385gr GPB is devastating on deer.

If I were to try the Barnes offerings in 50cal which do you think would be best to try based on my rifle and twist rate. I'm also currently running 85grV of Black Horn 209 for both bullets mentioned.

As always, be safe and thank you in advance for your assistance.

SHADOWFOX64
Hello Mr. Shadowfox64,

You are probably fine with the Barnes and 85gr by volume, if that works for you and your shooting distance is inside 150 yards. I use them a bit hotter.

I have been playing with almost the exact set up for about 3 years, and agree with you, they are really nice guns. I have customized seven or eight REM700ML. Most all of them in stainless.

My set ups include: Timney Elite Hunter trigger, Badger Ridge conversion, Boyds Prairie Hunter stock in walnut or laminate with aluminum bedded pillars installed by Boyds. I cut the ramrod to fit a Spinjag, 1/2 inch shorter than the muzzle (to keep it clean and increase accuracy). Hankins trigger guard and barrel band.

For scoped guns I use Leupold scopes: either their muzzleloader entry level scope (3x9, 40) or a one level up "rifle" scope w BDC 4x12, 40. We use standard steel rings, lapped straight with JB bore paste, for alignment. We also tried the CDS set ups and its fun to dial the distance but mostly not needed.

For open sights hunting; XS ghost ring in the back and the front either a Skinner brass Patdrige post or an XS black and white post. My eyes have gotten "old" and I can't see the Lee Shavers thin wires inside the front globes; if you have good eyes and/or do mostly target shooting that is a great set up.

I do clean the original bore very carefully and methodically when I buy the guns for 30 min+ with JB bore paste and Kroll oil using a bore centering device. I wrap the breech plug with Blue Monster tape every time i clean (thank you, to Mr. Sabotloader) clean w Hoppes9. I don't mess with oils, waters, lard, creams or butters. I clean them only mid season (we have an October and December muzzleloader seasons) and at the end. Most of the guns stay fouled with BH209 and loaded in the safe without a primer, if we did not clean them for the next season. No miss fires.

We manage a sizable farms in AG country with some swamps around us and MD has high bag #s for does. These muzzleloaders are IMO way better and more versatile than the Savage 220 slug guns we used to use. Recently we can also use straight wall cartridges'. but I still think these MLs are superior and more fun. We have not jumped in the smokeless bandwagon (although we got close when there was zero BH209). Our shots are from 30 yards to 250 yards. We have had a lot of luck dropping deer and very-very-very rarely we lose one. As a group, we average 20-25 does per season (MD), 4 to 6 (PA), and 6 to 8 (IN).

After testing a lot, for accuracy and performance on deer, my preferred choices on scoped REM700MLs are:
1) Barnes T-EZ 250gr (or 290gr for longer distance set ups), with 77gr by weight of BH209 (weighted with a good scale and pre-packed in plastic vials with screw cap, not the BH vials), and Federal 209a primers. We used the CCI Magnum but cant find them anymore.
2) Barnes MZ 300gr Expanders, changing the sabot for the MMP Hp24.
3) Parker Ballistic Express 300gr
These bullets clover-leaf shots at 100 yards and group about 2" at 200.

For open sights (or for western set ups, .. since we are planning some hunts out west, while practicing on Eastern deer):
1) Thor 250, .502" with 67gr by weight of BH209, and Federal 209a primers (best accuracy)
2) No Excuses lead bullets (420gr and 460gr) with an MMP Sub Base, with 67gr by weight of BH209, and Federal 209a primers (very accurate, massive)
3) Hornady Great Plains 365gr with 67gr by weight of BH209, and Federal 209a primers (we used the MMP sub base but I am very curious to use the wonder wads maybe the 54cal lubed ones. (very accurate, great performance)
Using veggie cards, i was not getting as good performance as with the MMP Sub bases on the NE420s. I think they "stick" to the base, maybe.

Hope this helps.

Coincidentally, I tried 67gr by weight on the Barnes T-EZ 250s yesterday and the groups opened up a bit.

Best of luck, and nice deer with your nice gun!

Last edited:
Thank you and I certainly appreciate your generosity! I just wanted to be sure since they only offered the 290gr in the boat tail model. In the interim, I'll order the 290gr BT in .451 diameter and give them a try.

SHADOWFOX64

SHADOWFOX64
Got my two boxes of 24 count BTs yesterday. Can I send you six of the flat base for your quest? Not even asking S&H, nada.

Latest posts

Back