Barrel tuner/weight?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delight523

Reaction score
The recent discussion about weighing RB's prompts me to ask if anyone has gone far enough down the ML rabbit hole to experiment with barrel weights. I have an unmentionable smallbore German made target rifle whose accuracy has been improved by the use of a barrel weight. The improvement is slight, but it's measurable. Anybody ever experimented with reducing barrel harmonics on a ML? It'd be ugly as sin, and so un PC, but would it yield some extra points?

Been impressed with the idea since the browning boss system was unleased on us

This is a project for someone with more percussion caps than I have to undertake ...

But someone should fafo in a scientific manner

The recent discussion about weighing RB's prompts me to ask if anyone has gone far enough down the ML rabbit hole to experiment with barrel weights. I have an unmentionable smallbore German made target rifle whose accuracy has been improved by the use of a barrel weight. The improvement is slight, but it's measurable. Anybody ever experimented with reducing barrel harmonics on a ML? It'd be ugly as sin, and so un PC, but would it yield some extra points?
That whole " unmentionable " nonsense, plz leave that in the traditional forum where that kinda ridiculousness is prevalent & tolerated. Its not in here. Thanks.

I believe a happy harmonic is an element of accuracy a lot of people Overlook that with a Muzzleloader and think such things don't matter if I were you I would experiment I wouldn't worry about what it looked like in a prototype sense if you decide to patent it and make it a eye feeling you can do that down the road to me any kind of little tweak of knowledge you could develop doing something like that benefits others,, go for it

I could see this becoming more common on smokeless ML’s…. Both tuners and tuner brakes.

The problem I can see is the tuner seizing up with fouling residue when shooting 777, BH, real BP, etc.

Personally, I don’t do muzzle brakes…. Too much extra concussion that hearing protection really does not mitigate. If the recoil is too stiff then i figure that I don’t need to be shooting that load.

Back