Big Sow Killed With Patched Round Ball

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
<table id="post4241025" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tr valign="top"><td id="td_post_4241025" class="alt1" style="border-right-color: rgb(153, 153, 153); border-right-width: 1px; border-right-style: solid;">Gun: .54 TC New Englander, 26" barrel
Powder: 90 grains of Black MZ
Cap: Winchester <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> Magnum
Bullet: Patched round ball

Went hunting this morning. Saw several smaller hogs and a big spotted sow. Followed the spotted sow down a woods trail for about 150 yards: But she gave me the slip. Decided to sit in a hunting blind for awhile. Was walking toward the blind and saw a big black hog. Wind was in my favor and i put a stalk on her. At a distance of about 30 yards i put a .54 caliber patched round ball in her ear.

This sow weighed about 275 pounds and was very fat. She was pregnant with three pigs.

DSC01928.jpg

On Tuesday it took me over three hours to find a 150 pound sow that ran off after being shot with a .50 caliber 320 grain Maxi-Ball. She had bled to death internally and fallen about 350 yards from where she was shot.  

<hr />
Last edited by falcon; Today at 09:18 PM.
</td></tr><tr><td class="alt2" style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);">
user_online.gif
report.gif
</td><td class="alt1" style="border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" align="right">
progress.gif
</td></tr></table>

wow!!! I am super excited.

My dads getting over a cold so hopefully very soon we  can get out there if its not to late.

Very nice hog. Did the one that ran off have the .50 Maxi-ball exit?

I bought a .54 NE just like yours from a forum member for my SIL. I seem to have "inherited" it since he's never paid me a dime on it. I shot some 400 gr. Maxi-balls and they were very accurate at 75 yards. I bet they would put a hurting on a hog.

Did the one that ran off have the .50 Maxi-ball exit?
Yes. She was hit too far back and just below the loins. When the gun cracked she squealed very loudly for a long time; bad sign. The hog was temporarily paralyzed in the rear. As i was reloading she was trying to get on her feet. Then she got her back feet under her and took off. i started a back and forth search that lasted over three hours.

Put in the right place, the 320 grain and 370 grain Maxi-Balls do a job on hogs.

Hey Falcon,  I seen this picture and the first thought that came to my mind was you with your patched ball .54 cal New Englander.   :D

571908d2f1f7ec6ed8cb854c69746b5b_zpsicxiyotf.jpg

Smokin' Joe, those are some cute pigs.   We used to catch small pigs for a friend who raised them for barbecue.   At 15 pounds they put a severe hurting on the fingers.   A 20 pound pig can easily crunch pecans.

About 3 years ago my dog rousted out a sow with pigs from under a deadfall. She caught one of the pigs and carried it out. The pig was biting her on the neck the whole time she carried it but she wouldn't give it to me. I got it away from her and shot it with a mini revolver.

She was proud of that pig. It weighed 11 lbs.

IMG_0446a1web.jpg

Pato, didn't anyone tell you...Boykins are a South Carolina "duck" dog., not "hog" dog.  :D

Spaniel20WC2020Img_6031_zps2jkfwa3j.jpg

Joe, they're also turkey, dove, quail, and, in her case, hog dogs. Actually, the only thing she doesn't like to hunt is a possum.

That little 11 lb. pig she caught ... I stashed it in the shade so we could continue on quail hunting. This is when we got back close to the pig again.

(Click on picture to play video.)
th_MVI_0444.mp4

She wouldn't let me forget HER pig.

Loooong time ago when I was a teenager, 50'ish years ago, on the small farm I grew up on we raised a few hogs and my dad and I would have to castrate the young pigs. My job was to catch the pigs and hold them for my dad while he performed the "operation". I would hold them by the back legs with his stomach towards me. In a quick motion I had to swing him towards me between my legs and then drop to the ground on my knees and hold him between my lower legs, knees and feet kinda setting on top of him. This had the pig flat his back on the ground while my dad did the cutting. I very vividly recall one pig that I must not have held exactly correct that bit me in the ass pretty hard. So yes, they have really good jaw power at a young age. :lol!:

Glenn

I love your dog. 

Mine is lovable and I do love him. With better training, he would be 
what he was bred to do. A master hunter like yours. His master failed him.

Biut, he has a great and happy life. He would love to chase pigs, I am certain.

Latest posts

Back