blown nipple

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todb

Reaction score
Was helping my dad work up a load for his American Knight started at 80
grs. T7 2f went up in 10 gr. increments to 100 grs. group sizes were 2 moa at 80 grs. slightly better at 90 grs. tightened up to 1 moa at 100 grs. Problem is when we dismantled gun for cleaning the nipple was a little tight to get out of breach plug. When I got it out I noticed that over half the threads were gone. We fired probably 30 shots most of them being the 100 gr. charge about half way through the session he got patch and ram rod stuck so we puuled nipple and plug they were ok at this time I am wondering if maybe he did not thread nipple all the way in when he removed plug or is 100 grs. of T7 to hot for this rifle? Bullet was PR 300gr
semi spitzer CCI #11 caps. P>S> great site

He probably didn't thread the nipple all the way up. If the threads in the breech plug are ok then just get a new nipple. When useing T7 it's a good idea to get some anti-seize auto grease like we use on the Savage cause it can and does seize the breech plug. :wink:

Back