Bullet Weight Retention

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omega

Reaction score
I love the test NYBOB did, posted on the Smokeless board. Randy's comment on the weight retention of one of the bullets got me thinking. My first reaction was 60% is still 180 grains left and the loss of weight didn't seem to hurt its penetration but I thought I'd poke around some. What I found the most interesting I posted below. It is from the Nosler website under FAQs.
What do you guys think? Agree or disagree with their assessment?

What are the pros and cons of weight retention?

As a bullet expands through an animal, the small pieces of lead and copper it loses come off at right angles to the bullet's path. This is caused by the centrifugal force of the bullet's rotation. These small pieces become secondary projectiles creating a larger trauma cavity which induces more bleeding.

An expanding bullet of high weight retention will generally have a large picture book mushroom. This large mushroom retards the bullets ability to penetrate and does not create as large a trauma cavity. Conversely, a bullet which expands too quickly or loses too much weight will not get to the vitals.

At Nosler, we feel a bullet needs both qualities. A nose which expands quickly for light bodied game or long range low velocity impacts. A partition or thicker rear jacket for weight retention, and a smaller mushroom for deep penetration.

I agree. I love the 160 Nosler partitions in my 7mm Rem Mag. All shots have been pass throughs with relatively small exit holes. Most have droped on the spot or dropped within 50 yds. I think the concept is sound for high powered rifles, but not sure about muzzle loading velocities. The media test at 150-200 yards might tell the tale better or actual field observations on game.

DeerNut said:
but not sure about muzzle loading velocities.

2445 fps with 300 grain bullet is SMOKING. Just to compare my .375 H&H barely touches 2500 FPS with a 300 grain bullet!!! :shock:

Back