Cob scores, but the not too high

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncob

Reaction score
This is my second year to hunt Iowa's early muzzleloader season, and I hunted the same piece of ground as last year. It is south of Eldora and the west boundary is the Iowa River. The piece has pasture ground, two patches of alfalfa and a single ravine that starts at the road, runs E & W to the river and pretty well cuts the piece in half. The ground is about 14 miles from my day job and I have a lot of flexibility, so I've been hunting before and after work

Saturday was the opener and I made 2 round trips, Sunday was a rain day, 2 trips each on Monday and Tuesday and I was beginning to feel the effects of long days. It's legal to shoot as late as 7 PM, but it's been too dark from all the cloud cover to reasonably take a shot that late. Nonetheless, I've been waiting until 7:20 or so to leave at night and worrying that the deer were sensing some pressure. Yesterday morning they high-tailed it south just minutes before I could have taken a shot and last night there were only two in the low patch.

I pretty well had made up my mind that I'd take a big doe or a decent buck if a shot was presented on Wednesday morning. I got up early, checked the wind direction and plotted a strategy on my way to hunt. I had been dropping down in the ravine and then popping my head up to take a look out across the alfalfa. With the SSE wind, I decided to go to the north fence line, then west to the river and then south to a big tree at the NW corner of the alfalfa.

The deer tend to bed down in the alfalfa and often all you can see is a head sticking up. I crawled the last 20 yards, and that alone shows a certain dedication b/c there are about 20 head of black Angus cows in the pasture and the land mines are many and nasty. I got to the tree at 6:20 and started glassing the alfalfa patch. It is about 200 x 200 yards. I practice 200 yard shots so about anything in that field was doable if I used shooting sticks.

At about 6:40 I could make out a couple of deer diagonally across the field. Then I noticed a couple of big-bodied creatures straight east of me at 175 yards and working towards me along the fence. It was 6:45, and legal to shoot at 6:53 so I was watching my watch as much as the deer. At a few seconds past 6:53, I dropped a good-sized buck but only 8 points at a laser verified 11 yards.

DSCN1212.jpg

I mosey'd up to the fence after the shot, and there were still 8 deer within range - some just munching away. Last year's shot was taken while sitting next to one of those trees on the hillside in the background.

DSCN1215.jpg

This buck is no trophy, but it will be one of my most memorable hunts.

DSCN1213.jpg

You can see the river in the background, and it is ready to go out of its banks.

Best regards - Cob

Hey,

Great story! That is a nice buck in my book and I'd be happy!

I like the "laser verified 11 yds.. " :applause:

What was the holdover? :D :D :D Just kidding!

CONGRATS on a memerable experience and a fine writeup!

I dropped a good-sized buck but only 8 points at a laser verified 11 yards.

Good thing you had your shooting stix! :lol:

Way to go Cob!

BEAUTIFUL field BTW!

SUPER BUCK COB!!! :applause: :yeah:

HOPE I CAN BE THAT LUCKY IN KY

LUNGBUSTER1
LACONIA IN

Great going, Cob! That's a good looking buck. All that long range practice paid off! :p Funny how it always works out that way, but you'll be ready someday whenever that 200+ yd. shot presents itself though. Congratulations on a good hunt!

After reading all the positive comments about 4759, I starting shooting it this spring and settled on the following:
XTP 300 with MMP short and 42 grains of 4759.

Oh yeah! Awesome combo!!!!

Nothing to worry about with that combo.... take whatever shot is given to you!

Enjoyable reading and a nice deer. Those angus land mine piles should cover any scent problem you might otherwise have. That size field offers a lot of different shooting opportunities.

Nice Buck, great story! Man, y'all got some big ole' bodied deer over there!

Cob....Oh boy, can I relate to the cow s...t!! :lol:

The horns appear to be darker than most...I like that!
Great deer and a really fun story to read.

That looks like my truck! :D

Latest posts

Back