Crossbow success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyencore

Reaction score
I have a compound, but my nephew talked me into hunting with his new crossbow, a Stryker Solution by Bowtech.  Very accurate.  Since he was videoing, I relented and just went with it.  Around 1:00 in the afternoon and having been on stand since 6;30 am, I told him to do one more grunting sequence with a doe bleating followed by some tending grunts.  Ten minutes later a 16" nine pointer was 80 yards away and snorting at us.  Not blowing, snorting. I'd never seen it before in the deer woods.  He was trying his best to find the doe and buck making all the commotion on this hillside!!  He snorted, raked trees, snorted some more and this went on for at least 5 minutes.  This ruckus got the attention of another buck on the adjacent hillside.  I caught the sun bouncing off some white antlers and I told my nephew that another buck was on his way. The white racked buck started posturing about 20 yards from the nine point, ears back and hair standing on end.  He snort-wheezed and started walking sideways toward the nine point and and a butt whoopin was about to ensue.  I would loved to have watched it, but at 28 yards the white racked buck gave me a quartering shot and the Stryker put it in the pumping station.  He ran 50 yards and piled up.  After some high fives with my nephew, we got down and celebrated one heck of a hunt.

specia12.jpg

Great story and great buck...I bet you were pumped big time after the shot...Congrats to a nice harvest....

Al

That is a heck of a buck!  Great mass and tine length.  Thanks for sharing the story and hopefully you can post some of the video.

:cheers: Congrats Tony on your crossbow buck :!:  Calling action is always a bonus :Red tup:

my 17 year old son got a 4 x 5 white tail buck from his blind with his cross bow a few days ago in north western nebraska. he said that several racoons were try to get into his blind and also under it when this buck walked in. he ignored the racoons and shot the buck and it walked 40 yards and fell over. also a large white tail buck that was badly wounded by a mountain lion was their also but the meat would have been bad with the infection in it. their was also a very non typical muley buck with one very long think horn on one side and a very long thick 2 points on the other. last year he got a really rare 5 point muley buck with his cross bow. it has one canine tusk on the right side like the deer of 10,000 years ago. the state was very interested in it and took a lot of pictures. they said the last time a deer in nebraska with a tusk was taken in nebraska was in 1962. the tusk is of ivory and isnt a tooth. he will be hunting in november from that blind with his rifle. he usually gets two large good bucks a year. his first one was when he was 11 years old. strong eagle

I'm not a crossbow fan though I do have and shoot one.
I prefer trad archery but took my Ohio Big Buck Club trophy with a compound.
NICE buck by the way.

Frankly any archery harvest is bragging material.

My two best shots were with my Browning Midas.
40 and 45 paces.
Way too far but I regularly practice at 10, 25, 30 and 40 yards.
Confidence counts.

I hit a button buck looking at me right in the brisket with my Browning Midas, Beeman
carbon shafts, 85 grain broad head, and the arrow exited the rear ham and was
never recovered.
Speed counts.
The li'l buck ran a semi circle and dropped dead.

Practice counts.

Now age, and injuries, limit my archery practice.

Latest posts

Back