Day at the range with Lyman GPH .50

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthefarm

Reaction score
Haven't posted in a while, it was a nice day, I'm should be receiving a .54 Lyman GPR in a couple days so I thought I'd take out my GPH .50 and give it a workout at 50 yards off the bench as I'll be playing with a new toy soon.

Using 60 gr of Goex 2F, Hornaday 385 gr Great Plains bullets,and CCI #11 primers. #1 is down next to #5. Not horrible but I don't think I'm consistent enough.

2012_02_26_a.jpg

onthefarm

Well that would certainly get the job done at 50 and under and I would bet it will get even better with more shooting and possibly working up higher in the powder load...

I have found with my own rifles that a ox-yoke lubed felt wad over powder cuts the group size. also an increase in powder charge may help you. In my TC Hawken 50 caliber rifle a load of 90 grains of Triple seven 2F with felt wad and the Hornady great plains 385 grain bullet drives tacks.
When shooting for groups I like to use a 6 O'clock hold.

The thought is the bigger charge will cause the base to swell and engage the rifling better? In looking back over saved targets, I have tried at 70 and 80 grains and have never shot these very well. I am able to get good 1.5" groups with some bullshop 400 and 460 grain conicals sized at .504. I will give it a shot with 90 gr and see what happens, and I also have some felt wads I picked up at Dixon's in PA and never used.

You went to Dixons from MD?? Sure is a long trip for you. I hope you made your trip worth while and stopped at Cabela's while you were there? GRIN

I had to travel back and forth to northern NJ every month or so last fall, so I looped around a little and went to both Cabela's and Dixon's. Dixon's is way cool!

Dixons is a great store, especially if you love shooting the ole style ML's. Plus I think they have every kind of ML powder there is. Maybe not, but they sure have a good selection.

I have a GPH in 50 caliber. The best load I found is a 295 grain PowerBelt on 80 grains of 2f black powder. Mine is a flint lock. I have some great Plain conicals so I will have to try them.

gp hunter

I have the same flintlock and I shot the same bullets the great plains bullets hornady and mine shot excellant with 90 gr of 2f very ,very accurate. I would try 90 gr and see yours probably will too.

Latest posts

Back