encore .223 question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex Dr.

Reaction score
I just purchased a .223 barrel for my encore 26" stainless no sights

planning on aputting a nikon scope on it since my new business sells them i get them at cost

(PM me and i will hook fellow ML owners up with smoking deals on scopes and lots of stuff)

MY question is what is the rate of twist?

hat should i should i shoot out of it bullet wise??

Im planning on making this my varmint gun

jamie

I just purchased a .223 barrel for my encore 26" stainless no sights

planning on aputting a nikon scope on it since my new business sells them i get them at cost

(PM me and i will hook fellow ML owners up with smoking deals on scopes and lots of stuff)

MY question is what is the rate of twist?

hat should i should i shoot out of it bullet wise??

Im planning on making this my varmint gun

jamie
Hey Rolex Dr, your twist is 1 in 12 unless you have ordered something custom made. I'd suggest a 40-50 gr V Max bullet. They will fragment when they hit the ground instead of risking a ricochet. They often fragment inside of a coyote as well making no exit hole if your saving fur.
Hope this helps, Ridge

thank ridge

i have been searchimg the net for hours and could not find that info on twist

i ordered a t/c barrel from them so its just plain jane

how should i break the barrel in

this is my 2nd good rifle (but 1st new one) my other was purchased used (new but broke in by a buddy

jamie

Rolex Dr. said:
how should i break the barrel in

Take one shot and clean, for 15 shots. Then shoot 5 three shot groups with cleaning in between each 3 shot group. Total = 30 shots with 20 cleanings. Lots of fun.... :stretch:

Barrel breakin is a whole bunch of hooey, shoot the dawg out of it and it will be broke in

Rifleman said:
Barrel breakin is a whole bunch of hooey, shoot the dawg out of it and it will be broke in

:lol:

I always wondered... never followed any routine myself.

i was going to say i usually just shoot mine and after 100-200 rounds or so they start to settle down

clean and shot

The T/C barrel are button rifled. I would clean itr beforte taking it to the range. T/C shoots proof loads and rest loads and they are shipped " dirty"

I aggree with " Venisoneater" break-in the barrel as he outlined. Since T/C
does button rifle their barrels the breaking -in process will remove the
minute tool marks that will hold onto coper fouling. Also most .223 get shot alot ...cheap to shoot and no recoil.

Hornady manufacturing breaks in every pressure barrel and sporter test gun they purchase. They take week to break in every barrel. They shoot
it...let it soak in solvent and clean it.

If Hornady feels it is necessary to perform this procedure...so will I.

The issue to break in a barrel or not will never be settled. It is a
personnal choice.

I agree that barrels(those not hand lapped) DO need breaking in. There really is no hard and fast rule concerning barrel break in. Some barrels may require more shoot 1/clean than others. It is basically just done until copper fouling is reduced. Although I USED to use Jim's method I don't go that far anymore. Here's the method I use for a new, non-custom barrel:

- Fire one shot, then clean your barrel. (Repeat this step 5 times.)
- Fire three shots, then clean your barrel.
- Fire five shots, then clean your barrel and you're done.

You should use extreme care while cleaning your barrel, using a properly fitting jag, rod, patch, and bore guide. Also be sure to keep your cleaning rod CLEAN! Many barrel/firearm makes would say more harm is done to barrels cleaning them than shooting them when done improperly.

I have the same 26" stainless .223 barrel and shoot Black Hills remanufactured 52 Gr. Match HP. That particular barrel had some rough spots that needed to be lapped a bit, but otherwise it really required no break in and shoots sub MOA at 100 yds if I do my part. I did have to try several different brands of ammo before I found the one that would do the job. The 50 Gr. V-MAX would be my second choice for accuracy. With a 1 in 12" twist rate you need to really stay under 60 Gr. for proper stabilization.

tooldog.

The last .17 Rem, Encore barrel I bought from Virgin Valley Barrels (Now Match Grade Machine) came with extensive instructions for break in, and a voided warranty if the break in proceedure was ignored. (How they would have determined if it was followed is beyond me...)

At any rate, I made the decision that I would only use 2 products in this barrel and if I ever have a problem with the barrel I would know to use a more vigorous cleaning regimen on future barrels.
The only 2 products that have been inside the barrel are a Boresnake, and I use Breakfree CLP spray.
The Boresnake makes cleaning the .17 cal safe and simple. The Breakfree CLP promised to Clean, Lubercate, and Protect.
I have kept a constant watch on this barrel, and I have to say these two products are doing a great job.

By no means do I feel other cleaning methods won't work, but I do feel my method is fast, easy and is continuing to do very well.

Good Luck,
Ridge

I have a 204 Ruger barrel for my Encore and it shoots great. I did follow the break in procedure. Did it make a difference? Who cares. I like the end result and I spent much more time getting used to the barrel by slowing things down and cleaning between shots.

If you need a breech rod guide I know a guy that makes a good one. PM me for his email.

Ethan

thanks guys

i pick the barrel up from my dealer thurs

i plan on cleaning it before i shoot

i like the boresnake idea as well i use them on my ML for quick touch ups then do a good cleaning before putting it away for a bit

thanks

jamie

Back