Fiocchi 209 primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Earlier in the year, I found Fiocchi 209 primers available and bought a pack. Went to the range this week to find out these are a tad bit too wide for my Thompson Center Pro Hunter inline 50 cal. Anyone have any creative ideas other than reloading shotgun shells with these? I'd really like to know if there's a different breach plug to try or if this will work in other inlines. Thanks for your comments.

Plugs vary slightly and as you discovered not all are compatible with all 209s. The “Euro” primers (Cheddite, Fiocchi, Nobel, Rio, etc) tend to be larger in diameter. You will find some variation (sometimes a lot) even in the same lot (box) of primers. I can get some percentage of Fiocchis to work in some of my TC plugs and Woodmans plugs but not in my Savage plugs.

So, you could test fit all of them from the box you have and you may get a few to work, or just save them for reloading.

If you intended to shoot the euro primers exclusively, you could modify your plug slightly to fit them.

Someone needs to develop a 209 sizing die. 🤔

CBA10F3C-BD88-492D-9ADD-44EBD7DC3C25.jpeg

Plugs vary slightly and as you discovered not all are compatible with all 209s. The “Euro” primers (Cheddite, Fiocchi, Nobel, Rio, etc) tend to be larger in diameter. You will find some variation (sometimes a lot) even in the same lot (box) of primers. I can get some percentage of Fiocchis to work in some of my TC plugs and Woodmans plugs but not in my Savage plugs.

So, you could test fit all of them from the box you have and you may get a few to work, or just save them for reloading.

If you intended to shoot the euro primers exclusively, you could modify your plug slightly to fit them.

View attachment 34297
Convert your plug to direct ignition and use large rifle primers.😀

View attachment 34297
I’ve used them for years in my CVAS never had issues with them. My 2 optima’s and Acura using the original 209 breech plug with vent liners in the 2 optima’s and a blackhorn breech plug in my Acura. Carlos from Ed’s gun shop recommended them to me and never looked back.

I’ve used them for years in my CVAS never had issues with them. My 2 optima’s and Acura using the original 209 breech plug with vent liners in the 2 optima’s and a blackhorn breech plug in my Acura. Carlos from Ed’s gun shop recommended them to me and never looked back.
Cva plugs must be oversized then

View attachment 34297
Cool chart. Do you know what kind of REM primers are inferred? STS?

Same here. I've used them my CVA Apex and Kodiaks...no issues.

Appears many CVA users have success with these 209's, are these compatible with my Thompson Center Encore? Thanks for all of the feedback around this topic.

FWIW, I have several Knight BHs DEs and TKs. I keep a FPJ breech plug in at least one of every caliber and model. My reason is that so far, this older ignition system has worked well with every brand and type of primer I've come across. The FPJs are an extra expense and another component to carry, but I've never been without a ML for lack of a compatible primer.

Latest posts

Back