First range report CZ-527 .22 Hornet..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Well here's how it went:

I basically loaded up five shots each of 3 different bullets using both 11gr and 12gr of Lil' Gun. So I loaded five 11gr Lil' Gun cartridges each with a 40gr Starke RPVB, 40gr Sierra Blitz King, and 40gr Hornady V-Max and five more using 12gr of Lil' Gun and the same bullets. All were loaded in new Remington brass and primed with Winchester WSP primers. I also used the factory Remington 45gr HP for baseline accuracy testing and to get a rough zero at 100yds.

The Rifle
The rifle...I LOVE the SST(single set trigger). After shooting a gun with 1.25lb trigger..all others seem horrible. Feeding and ejection were flawless...the bolt chambered and fed all rounds with nary a glitch. The ONE and ONLY issue I had with the gun was cartridge OAL limitations caused by the clip. The 40gr V-Max and BlitzKing are really ULTRA spitzers with a sharp, long, pointy ogive. Unfortunately...No way was I EVER in danger of touching the lands or even coming close either of those bullets due to the rather short OAL limitations. The RPVB is really a hand made match-type bullet featuring a hollow point making a much better match for the 527s clip. BTW..After the range trip I bought some Sierra Varminter 40gr Hollow points and some of the stubby 35gr Hornady V-Max to address the OAL issue. Of course..if used as a single-shot or even a two-shot repeater(1 in chamber and 1 in clip) OAL would not be an issue at all.

The Scope:
The scope that I mounted on the 527 is the Nikon Monarch 4-12X40AO using the factory mounts. In one word: IMPRESSIVE! EXTREMELY bright and clear optics. The AO and ocular focusing worked perfectly and the w/e adjustments dialed in the precise amount of adjustment and the adjustments were very distinct. I was using the NRA 50ft small bore rifle target(11 1.5 inch bulls on one target sheet) and the bulls were clear and sharp. I buy another one of these scopes in a heartbeat.

The Groups:
Basically..I just wanted to get familiar with the gun and the cartridge in general. We've all heard of how diffacult the .22 Hornet is to reload, how thin the case necks are, and how likely the case necks are to crumple. I had no problems whatsoever quickly loading up the 30 cartridges for the range. I had all ready bore sighted the gun at home and it only took a few shots to get the rifle rough-zeroed at 100yds using the Remington factory fodder. Of course I started with the 11gr loads and then went to the 12gr loads starting off with the Starke 40gr. The groups were 1.35 inches for the 11gr load and 1.59 inches for the 12gr load. I was surprised that the groups were not better but I really don't know why. An EXCELLENT looking bullet, I've never gotten that great of accuracy with them. Next up was the BlitzKing 40gr loads, 0.80 inches with 11 gr Lil' Gun and 1.14 inches with 12gr Lil' Gun. Lastly I shot the Hornady 40gr V-Max with both 11gr and 12gr Lil' Gun with groups of 1.01 inches and 0.57 inches respectively. Obviously the 527 liked the Sierra and Hornady bullets best with the V-Max showing a slight accuracy advantage. With all six 5-shot groups averaging 1.08 inches, this rifle is really showing some really accuracy promise. I also fired one 5-shot groups with the factory Remington loads...1.46 inches...

2007%20Range%20pics%20003.jpg

Off the subject for one minute. :) That looks like some really good Deer hunting at your range.

Nice setup Big6x6. I think your groups are pretty darn good right now. I notice you really like that scope. You know who wants those Leupolds of yours. :)

Good start with your 22 Hornet. You will end up with a consistant 1/2 inch gun with a load you prefer.

I shot my 6BR yesterday too... :D 200yds! Group 1 was from a clean, spotless bore...first 5 shots. Group 2 was the next 5 shots...4 in one hole...should have been 5 in one hole.

2007%20Range%20pics.jpg

Chuck,

Even I love that gun, and I have only shot about 3rounds through it! :yeah:

JC

thats an amazing 200 yd group

that little CZ is nice looking rifle

the nikon monarch scopes are excellent! i have one in 3-9x40 and it's easily the best scope i have. i think that leupolds usually have the nikon monarchs beat in terms of eye relief, but the monarch is supposed to have brightness and clarity more like a vx-III than a vx-II.

this is a little off-subject too, but i've never understood this rifle:

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=20

im not sure who hunts varmits with a .308 . . . or who buys a .308 "varmit rifle" with a thick ventilated recoil pad :think: one thing cz marketing is correct about, however, is that no varmit stands a chance against a ... .308 :shock:

big6x6 said:
I shot my 6BR yesterday too... :D 200yds! Group 1 was from a clean, spotless bore...first 5 shots. Group 2 was the next 5 shots...4 in one hole...should have been 5 in one hole.

2007%20Range%20pics.jpg

Is that two different bullets at 200yds?

this is a little off-subject too, but i've never understood this rifle:

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=20

I'm 100% with you on that! I think that every time I see a varmint rifle in .308! :?

I'm thinking it stems from basically two areas:

1. The .308 is a commonly used match rifle with probably the most match-type ammo/bullets of any other round.

2. Shooters commonly buy the .308 varmint rifle to pretend they are police/military sharpshooters, thinking tactical instead of varmint.

Come think of it..I've never seen a .308 that even shot that well with the 110gr varmint weight bullets.

Is that two different bullets at 200yds?

No..same bullet. Group 1 was from a clean oiled/stored gun. It takes 3-5 shots on a clean barrel for that gun to settle down from a clean bore. Really, most guns.

Chuck,
This is great shooting with 6BR. What scope do you have on that gun?
Back to CZ. What work are you planning to do on that gun? How is its fit and finish?

Chuck,
This is great shooting with 6BR. What scope do you have on that gun?

Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20X50.

Back to CZ. What work are you planning to do on that gun? How is its fit and finish?

I'm not PLANNING to do ANYTHING to it. If I have to bed it..I'll get that done. Fit/finish is actually VERY good. The actual stock wood quality isn't that great..but it's finished really good.

Cool!

12gr Lil'Gun and a 40gr V-max. I will give that a shot. What was the velocity on that one?

Great shooting in both cases! Love that 6BR!!

What was the velocity on that one?

I got 2930fps that day with the V-Max but I got 2886fps with the 40gr BlitzKing. I thought I would give the velocities another try because that seems a little high based on what I've read but certainly the velocities are not beyond reality... I'm thinking on working on the 11.0gr and 11.5gr area maybe Sunday..

That is really Awesome for a 40gr bullet out of the Hornet... esp with the accuracy you are posting!

I think that would be a spectacular varmint round. No recoil and little report.

I have yet to give my Contender a try as it has been raining now for several days... As soon as it breaks I will be out and give her a shot!

Will I like the Hornet better than the fireball? We will see!

Nice lookin CZ chuck & great first report!

Some of the CZ bbls are slightly touching stock on one side (usually rt. side) & need a very lite sanding with a dowel for full float. My CZ 452 American was as such. Its very common in the CZ line. Sanded & resealed. You should be able to slide a business card from the front of the stock back to the barrel lug. After this....my groups got even better.

Hey guys, the 308 makes a great varmint cartridge :wink: . The Speer 130gr HP really does a job on jack rabbits, completely authoritative on 'yotes and will cleanly take deer with a good broadside shot :applause:

6x6, have you tried standard pistol primers with your Hornet? I've never tried it myself as I do not own a Hornet but I've heard some guys say it can improve accuracy.

Whitesmoke

your CZ 527

Chuck,

Does your CZ527 have a thin barrel or a heavy barrel. Can not really tell from your picture.

I read today the Cz is offering the 527 in a LEFT HAND in .223. :D :D
I really like that the action scaled to the cartridge size.

I wish it was a .204 :evil:

Greg

Latest posts

Back