Flame Thrower or Hot Shot Nipple for T/C Hawken?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Buddy of mine is trying to get his T/C Hawken ready for this season, looks like his original nipple needs replacement. Which one would be best for him. He is currently using T7 pellets (I know, I'm trying to get him to use loose).

So should he get the Hot Shot, the Flame Thrower, or the regular nipple?

Thanks in advance.

I've used both the standard TC and hotshot nipples on sidelocks with no issues.

Flamethrower nipples the long ones used on inlines. They won't work on a sidelock.

If you think you need hotter ignition on a sidelock, consider changing from the #11 cap to musket cap. This just requires a replacement nipple (1/4x28 for TC) and musket caps.

excess650 said:
If you think you need hotter ignition on a sidelock, consider changing from the #11 cap to musket cap. This just requires a replacement nipple (1/4x28 for TC) and musket caps.

Thanks to both of you. Should have realized the Flamethrower was for the older inlines.

I thought the #11 caps were hotter than the musket caps. Did I get that backwards?

The actual temperatures are very equal. But the volume of flame is larger in a musket cap I was told. Now I have a Black Mountain Magnum 1-28 twist rifle made by Thompson Center and it is one of the few sidelocks that was actually made to shoot pellets. The Firestorm is the other. They have a different chamber shape, and they use a musket cap ignition.

Cayuga,
You must have at least one of everything that TC ever made!

I bought a Firestorm flintlock from a guy really cheap because he couldn't get it to fire reliably. It was pristine and appeared spotless. I pulled the touch hole liner and could see the problem. Whatever he used for lube got pushed down past the end of the cone on the breechplug and was blocking the flash from the touch hole. Had he bothered to remove the breechplug he woud have discovered the problem. :roll: It went off every time for me, and was pretty quick besides.

The TC Hawken is not made for pellets! Your fiend will have nothing but trouble. Go to the range with him and once he see the problems with the pellets, load his rifle with some loose Tripple Seven or Goex. For new nipple, I really like hot shots.

excess650 said:
Cayuga,
You must have at least one of everything that TC ever made!

Nope, no Firestorm or Seneca. And in the inline department all I have is a Black Diamond XR. Never needed anything else. But I must admit the Omega appeals to me.

Latest posts

Back