Flash hole questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
Ive seen some tools used to uniform the flash hole of brass rifle cartridge cases. The other day I was prepping some brass and grabbed a 5/64 drill bit which seemed to barely fit the flash hole of my .270 Rem Peters cases. Using hand pressure I worked it into the flash hole and it does remove the "filet" where the pocket is formed and doesnt remove too much of the existing primer pocket/flash hole. Is this practice, OK? If so I will continue to do the rest of my brass.

Does the bit feel tight. If so you might be making the pocket bigger. Have you tried a primer in the pocket? How does it fit? These are a couple things you should look at before you go too far.

Spend the 10 bucks and buy the Lymans Flashhole Uniform Tool. It is done through the neck, the adjustable arbor ensures you are centred on the flashole to unifrom the flashole and remove the burrs from flashhole. It only needs to be done once upon intial case prep. Works with .22 - .45 cal.

Drill bits are way to easy to cant causing more bad then good, much better off not touching them IMHO.

Lymans Flashhole Uniform Tool link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=729748

Unless you are loading for a benchrest rifle the process is a waste of time. It will make little if any difference in your load quality. Inspect the hole to make sure that it is not plugged and load it. That is all that is necc.

Rifleman said:
Unless you are loading for a benchrest rifle the process is a waste of time. It will make little if any difference in your load quality. Inspect the hole to make sure that it is not plugged and load it. That is all that is necc.

Absolutely correct. In a factory firearm, you'll never notice the difference.

I just read this again, when totally awake :oops: , and notice MQ32shooter was talking about the flash hole and not the primer pocket that I commented on :? .
:oops: :oops:

Latest posts

Back