Flintlock Horseman's Pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
The best antique firearm my family has ever owned was a 1833 Hall breech loading rifle in like new NRA Mint condition. I wrote about it on here with pictures a few years ago. 

Found the gun in one of the Gun Libraries at Cabela's (in inventory for several years). Cabela's wanted to move the gun, I was contacted and in 2008 and given the lowest price they would sell at $3,100. I contacted Sidney (their main office) and offered $2,800 cash. It took about 2 weeks and they took the offer. Kept that gun until 2016 and sold it to a collector that fell in love with it (when you find a buyer who can live without it, he's in trouble). 

Sold the gun for $4,500 cash - no return. If you buy quality antiques and sit on them for a period you can do better than funds in the bank and don't have the IRS wanting part of it.
_________________________________​
Here's another example of a good clean gun for its age that we made a nice profit on.
We sold this pistol about 10-12 years ago for $3,600.00 through an auction house. [You really have to watch the percentages that some of these firms charge.] Now look at how the value has increased. I thought we did good seeing how my father paid $1.65 for it in 1933. Since then it has changed hands several times, with the new owner paying a good sum.
<h2 class="post-content">Flintlock Horseman's Pistol</h2>.55 caliber, 10.0625" round barrel, S/N [font=Raleway, arial, sans-serif]398. Bright finish, brass mountings, walnut stock. 4.75" flat beveled lock with integral rounded and fenced iron pan with bridle, flat beveled reinforced cock. Lock marked with {eagle} / US under pan and HARPERS / FERRY / 1807 at tail. Interior of lock marked WV. Lock appears to be original flint in all respects. Barrel marked with serial number 398, as well as raised US and {eagle head} inspection marks in depressed oval cartouches. Barrel appears to be original flint as well, with internal camera inspection not revealing any welding. Touchhole appears unmolested, showing normal erosion, as well as good taper and angel. A clear V/CW(Charles Williams) cartouche is present on the counterpane, and a clear JS/0 is stamped upside down on the obverse grip at grip cap. Matching mating mark XIII on mainspring, under barrel, and on lock and tang screws. Tapered wooden ramrod is likely an old replacement. Approximately 1290 pairs of M1805 pistols were produced at Harpers Ferry in 1807. A nice example of our first US arsenal made martial pistol.[/font]

Condition:
Very good. Metal with a mottled salt and pepper patina with scattered oxidation and light pitting that is more moderate around the breech and touchhole. All metal with clear markings. Mechanically functional, upper bridle screw inside the lock is broken. Dark, oxidized and evenly pitted bore. Brass with a medium golden patina. Stock with clear markings, showing some repaired cracks in the grip, and at the rear lock screw. Numerous bumps and dings with some wood loss around the wedge. Some added finish in areas of repair with added varnish over most of the wood. Overall a very solid example of an early and desirable US martial flintlock pistol.

Estimate: $3,000 - $6,000
Price Realized Including Buyer's Premium
$5,288  09/12/2018
3225269_1.jpg

Back