Frankenloader... (Image Heavy)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarGazer

Reaction score
It's alive!!!! :shock: Born in the deep dark corners of the gun shop.... maybe a little late for Halloween... I bring you FRANKENLOADER..... :twisted:

GmzrZ0wl.jpg

It is an underhammer built on a 42" 1:66 twist .50cal Sharon Target Barrel. It contains an AR-15 receiver chopped in half and inverted, an AR-15 trigger highly modified, and an AR-15 collapsible stock. The fore grip is an AK-47 lower front grip. It is the UGLIEST gun on the planet... but it sure shoots like butter. 8)

Eztg40kl.jpg

t43gEpel.jpg

BoR2quRl.jpg

FqSSD86l.jpg

As soon as the weather lets up, it will be time for a formal sight-in. :wink:

If this was February I would think you had a bad case of Cabin Fever! :lol: :lol:

That is one strange looking firearm, but cool looking too! Is that bar from the forearm to the trigger assembly the underhammer? How does that work? You know what, I'll bet that thing is going to be a hoot to shoot. Since it is a 1 in 66 twist looks like it is for round balls so won't be expensive to play with. By all means let us know how Frankenloader shoots! Man do you have a creative imagination!

That should be a heck of a shooter. I never saw a rifle like that. But I can not wait for the range reports.

What I can't figure is where do you hang on with your trigger hand?

How about a vid while you shoot it the first time? Lol

The long piece of spring steel under the nipple is what fires it. It also serves to gently hold the cap in place until ready to fire. It has very fast ignition as the flame does not have to make a 90 deg. turn to get to the powder. Shoots like a modern center fire rifle. I will try to get a video up as soon as I can get home from work before dark! :roll: Trigger hand just wraps around the tube where the stock attaches just like any other rifle. It is a bit of a reach if you have short fingers, but for normal sized hands it is not bad. The trigger is actually quite smooth and is getting better the more it is fired. To reset after firing, just pull down on the spring until the trigger clicks and put your new cap on. :yeah:

n94RdTil.jpg

Cool!. I love oddball projects. (But I won't be ordering one. :wink:) Be sure to wear long sleeves when you shoot it to protect from cap fragments. Maybe you could use a piece of steel or brass tube about 3/8" diameter and 3/8" long soldered to the striker bar to make a cup that contains the cap explosion. How about a pistol grip hanging from the trigger assembly?

Very interesting. One of a kind for sure! :applause:

I know it would drive me crazy with nothing to put my hand around - but thats just me. Cool build, will be interested to see how it does!

I finally have a video made of it being fired... but I am not sure where to host it so I can post it. Any ideas?

StarGazer said:
I finally have a video made of it being fired... but I am not sure where to host it so I can post it. Any ideas?
phototbucket or youtube should work.

That's an awesome looking project

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk

Man looks like its just all barrel. What load has that as it looked like no recoil.

Very cool!

8fPA6Tel.jpg

With further testing I discovered that about 1 in 5 shots had to strike the primer cap twice to fire. Fixed that problem by adding a second "leaf" spring to make the strike more powerful. While I was at it I added a brass knurled knob to help pull down the spring when inserting the primer cap. Firing 100% of the time now! :yeah:

That brass knob also adds mass to to the firing mechanism, so should be more surefire.

Back