Going Sabotless?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
I've been reading and think I know what I need to shoot sabotless. Can you guys confirm or tell me if I'm missing anything?

I currently have a Knight Ultra-Lite .50, BH209, wool wads, and .452 Fury 265 gr. STB bullets.

I would need a Knight Ultra-Lite Barrel Kit in .45, and a Hankins smooth sizing die.

Am I missing anything? Do you lube the bullets before you size them? Thanks for any help.

If you're shooting a 50cal, the .452" bullets will not work bullet to bore. You'll need to load them in a sabot.
Rather go with the 50cal Universal.
Or go with a 45cal.

Thank you. I can afford a Knight 45 barrel. I'd love to play with a smokeless Omega, but it is currently out of my budget.
Why not just get an entire .45 action/barrel? I did that earlier. I bought a Disc Extreme .50 cal then later bought a .45 Moutaineer barreled action the dropped right in the stock.

IDK what your goals are but you could go sabotless with your 50 too. The BC and twist rate isn't as high on a 50 but Fury has 50 cal bullets and the new Hornady 50 cal eld-x is looking neat. I have a 50 cal swing lock die I size bullets for 50s with.

I've used both in my Knight Ultralight. It seems to prefer the 300 grain Thors, over sabots. I just bought 320 grain Furys to try and see if they group better.

I have discovered through experimentation that you cannot fire a patched round ball in one of these and have it stay in the rifling.

Caliber X twist X 2 = max grains of BP. In my 45 cal with a 20 twist that's 18 grains. It squibs on a load that small.

I'll try the R.E.A.L bullets next weekend with 30 grains to see of that works - and if it does I'll work up from there. But I'm starting to think the 20 twist is too fast for anything outside of a plastic Sabot.

I really can't say in general on a 1:20. i really have not wrung it out to be truthful about it. Mine barely can stabilize a 200 gr sabot/bullet with 2" - 2.5" groups. It kills tick toters & that is why i have it. It won't win any target shoots from 25 yards to 200 yards. I see this is about bore riders, Mine keyholes at 75 yards.

Last edited:
Back