Half of the first batch of jerky

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Here's half of the first batch of venison jerky. This got about 4 and a half hours of applewood smoke, then 7 hours in the oven at 190 degrees to help dry it. Yesterday its was allowed to rest and today the packaging/sealing begins. The other half was smoked and dried yesterday and resting today, packing tomorrow. Its got an outstanding flavor.

I used Walton's Colorado Jerky seasoning on this jerky this year and am very happy with the outcome. I'll be doing this again in the future. Really great stuff.

X4rQTgC.jpg

I start with this Ed.

https://www.waltonsinc.com/colorado-beef-jerky-msg

Then, God willing, I get a deer that will lend itself to at least 25 pounds of whole muscle meat. I slice the meat roughly 3/8" thick. Once the meat is sliced and weighed I mix the cure and seasonings in a bowl and blend well. I put the seasoning mix in a shaker with large holes....think of parmesan cheese at a pizza joint, and sprinkle the whole nine yards on the meat making sure the seasonings cover all of the meat. I mix the meat by hand then until there's no excess seasoning on the bottom of the tub. Cover and keep cold for 24 hours. Next the smoker gets started and the racks get about half of the meat laid out. I smoke for roughly four hours at cooler temp. The meat will get to maybe 135-140 degrees so I finish the process in the kitchen oven by putting all of the meat on a heavy cookie sheet in the oven at 190 with the door cracked. About every hour I pull the cookie sheet and give the meat a stir by hand and check for any pieces that look light in color...indicating maybe some raw meat which I don't want. The meat cut at 3/8 will firm up but stay chewable with about 6-7 hours of dry time in the oven. Longer oven time will harden the meat more. Since there's cure in the meat it only has to reach 152 degrees to kill any harmful bacteria that may be present. Once the meat has been pulled from the oven spread it out on a clean towel to cool completely then package as wanted.

I am planning to make air dried jerky this year that can be stored with out refrigeration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Been very tasty as I gnaw on a piece every now and again while working in the shop. The batch was 25 pounds but I don't see much of it getting outside of the garage after eating a couple chunks. lol

MrTom said:
Been very tasty as I gnaw on a piece every now and again while working in the shop. The batch was 25 pounds but I don't see much of it getting outside of the garage after eating a couple chunks. lol

This is the problem (if it can be called a problem?) I would TEAR through a Pile of Jerky like that in no time flat! I’ve done it MANY times! My dad has always said it was a Waste to make Jerky that it is Gone in no time, He has that backwards, it’s a Waste when a Stew is made and It doesn’t get completely eaten, the Last bit of it ends up going to the Airedale. The Jerky gets DEVOURED around these parts :D

I bagged up 12 , 1 1/2 pound vacuum bags today and have it all sealed and in the freezer. Along about Christmas I'll pull a package and nurse my way thru it. I have a daughter that'll insist on four or five bags. She is a lot like you Lewis....here today gone tomorrow. I like to enjoy this down the road when others are going without.

MrTom said:
She is a lot like you Lewis....here today gone tomorrow. I like to enjoy this down the road when others are going without.

My Dad does the same as you Tom, He can put a Pack in his truck and Nibble at it for Days, I open a pack and i eat that Pack! No messing around about it :lol:

Idaholewis said:
MrTom said:
She is a lot like you Lewis....here today gone tomorrow. I like to enjoy this down the road when others are going without.

My Dad does the same as you Tom, He can put a Pack in his truck and Nibble at it for Days, I open a pack and i eat that Pack! No messing around about it :lol:

Glad I’m not alone in devouring Jerky. :D

When I make my vacuum bags for the jerky I intentionally make them long. I can snip the sealed end off and take what I want out of the bag. I have enough bag to re-seal this way and it can go right back in the freezer. A half dozen chunks of this will last me a week. A pound and a half chub of summer sausage.....now that's an entirely different animal with me.

Latest posts

Back