Heading to Colorado for Mule deer and Elk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laker

Reaction score
I just found out on the Colorado DOW websight that I drew both my tags for deer and elk. Thought I had a real good chance at one but never thought I would draw both. I will be heading out on Oct 21 for a 8 day hunt. Hope to have some great pictures to show off then. Laker

:D Congrats on draw Laker! Sounds like a great hunt is planned.

Congrats! Sounds like a great time!

You taking the 10-ML or .300 WBY ?

I,ll go with you. You take the deer,I,ll take the elk :lol: Bub.

:shock: Well, you did better than I did and I live in Colorado. I went 0/4 on tags. I'll have to wait for the leftover tags.

Ronmar

Unfortunatly I am taking the 300 Wby this time, these tags took three years to draw and I want to make the most of my opportunity. The 300 Wby is a VERY accurate gun and at least for this hunt I like the thought of being able to reach out to 500 yds and touch one if you know what I mean, might make the difference of tagging that once in a lifetime buck or bull. Dont get me wrong I love hunting with the savage this is just the opportunity of a lifetime and I want all the advantages in my favor.

Joel

That is a hell of a buy. I have the exact same gun in 300 with a break. I have talley rings and a Zeiss cnoquest 4.5x14x50 with target turrets. I have around 2500.00 in this setup without the brass and dies. I just also purchased a gun from that company over their websight I got a ruger #1 to convert to a smokless. They are a good company to deal with. If I did not have to come up with the money for this trip I would probably buy that gun.

Hey thats great
I drew too only a ML Elk tag Statewide season. Four of us put in. Two bull tags One cow tag Other person goofed up his application so he has to go bowhunting.
Redclub

This place specializes in TRAP/Sporting Clays guns.. they have a very limited rifle selection, but usually a good one. ... and mostly used!

If you ever get a chance to come this way.. you should stop by... It is only about 3 1/2 hrs from r-man's door.

They have TONS of KRIEGHOFF's and PERAZZI's :roll:

Yes, they are very nice... I have bought most of my FFL guns here.

I think I asked you this before Doohan but where do you live in Ohio. I think that I am only about 1 to 1 and a half hours from you. I live in Brookville IN which is about 35 min west of Cincinati OH.

laker:
Congrats! I'm hoping to see some good pics, I don't care what you use to take the critters!!

laker said:
Dont get me wrong I love hunting with the savage this is just the opportunity of a lifetime and I want all the advantages in my favor.

Joel

Congratulations on getting tags. :) The only advantage a CF rifle has over a Savage is RANGE. :wink:

Have a good hunt and post photos. My sister lives in that State. It is beautiful country.

Hey Laker!
Have you every hunted in Colorado? If not, you are REALLY in for a TREAT! I saw more elk AND mule deer in Colorado than I have anywhere else! You will LOVE it!

Unfortunatly I am taking the 300 Wby this time, these tags took three years to draw and I want to make the most of my opportunity.

I've have a over ten year old Weather Mark V stainless/synthetic in 300 Weatherby. I've killed more animals with that gun than probably all the other combined. I have complete confidence in that gun. I've killed most everything with a Sierra 200gr Game King at just over 3000fps. It has worked perfectly every time and is really consistantly accurate. I think I zeroed for 270yds or so. Never shot anything over about 250yds though! :lol: You'd be hard pressed to find a better caliber IMO!

Yes I have been there before, three years ago I went with the same outfitter and killed a 70 inch pronghorn in the eastern plains. I also went on my honeymoon to Estes park and Co. Springs three years ago and also went on a vacation there two years ago. You cannot beat the sceanery in colorado and the huntin aint bad either. 8) If you guys get bored take a look at this websight and go to the trophy room, look at the giant mule deer they are killing that is where I am going, and if you go back to the 2002 trophy photos I am the one with the Orange and yellow hat on with the stainless rifle in front of the antelope, And I have advantage wetlands camo on. The websight is www.goldeneagleoutfitters.com

pic21_1_-110x131.jpg

This you ?

Joel, we are about 2- 2 1/2 hrs apart.. : )

No thats not me, I am in the second column over and the forth picture down. The one with the real bright blue sky in the background and ther is the outfitter in the pic with his hands on top each other. That picture does not do the pronghorn justice.

Back