Hello from Helena, Montana!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I found an unfired .50 caliber TC Renegade Hunter on GunBroker, and bought it so I can hunt Montana's new Heritage Muzzleloader season. I've killed a couple of muleys in Eastern WA with inlines, but am relatively new to muzzleloading, and am completely new to traditional muzzleloading. Been tapping into all the great info on this forum for over a month now, so decided it's time to join.

When the new Renegade arrived two weeks ago I took it out for a shooting session. For MT's Heritage ML season we have to use pure lead, full bore bullets, so I tried Hornady PA conicals and Great Plains conicals. The PA conicals key-holed at 80 grains of Triple 7 Three F. The GP's shot OK with 90 grains of same, so I took the Renegade out after elk for a few days. The elk are all safe - so much snow here already that they are all down on private land.

Loved shooting the Renegade, and loved carrying it, so it will be my primary ML going forward. May even hunt with it during the general season. Right now I'm working on the Renegade's trigger pull, following IdahoLewis' posts. An October Country lace-up butt sling, a TC sling swivel rod thimble, and a Kap Kover are on order. I bought a Skinner peep, and will have it mounted as close to my eye as possible. When I'm done with the trigger and our weather moderates a little (High for today is -5, tomorrow's low is supposed to be -32, but next week we're supposed to have some afternoons in the 40s) I'll continue the search for a good shooting conical. May get into applying my own lube, bullet sizing, and maybe even bullet casting. Hope to do a little more elk hunting during MT's late season, which closes 15 February.

About me? Born in Bozeman, MT (1957), grew up in Pullman WA and Eau Claire WI. West Point (BS) 1979, Stanford (PhD in optical physics) 1987. Served in artillery battalions at Ft. Lewis WA, and in Korea. Spent about 20 years leading government research projects in the Army, Los Alamos (NM) National Lab, and Pacific Northwest National Lab (Richland WA). Retired in 2007, spent several years in ministry, now doing rental real estate for my retirement income. First retirement home was in Ellensburg, WA, but WA has gone so crazy that my wife Tina and I decided that being landlords there is now just too risky. So... we moved to Helena a year ago. Settling in well, but still have property in WA to sell, and need to buy more rentals here in Helena.

A few weeks ago I found an unfired .50 caliber TC Renegade Hunter on GunBroker, and bought it so I can hunt Montana's new Heritage Muzzleloader season. I've killed a couple of muleys in Eastern WA with inlines, but am relatively new to muzzleloading, and am completely new to traditional muzzleloading. Been tapping into all the great info on this forum for over a month now, so decided it's time to join.

When the new Renegade arrived two weeks ago I took it out for a shooting session. For MT's Heritage ML season we have to use pure lead, full bore bullets, so I tried Hornady PA conicals and Great Plains conicals. The PA conicals key-holed at 80 grains of Triple 7 Three F. The GP's shot OK with 90 grains of same, so I took the Renegade out after elk for a few days. The elk are all safe - so much snow here already that they are all down on private land.

Loved shooting the Renegade, and loved carrying it, so it will be my primary ML going forward. May even hunt with it during the general season. Right now I'm working on the Renegade's trigger pull, following IdahoLewis' posts. An October Country lace-up butt sling, a TC sling swivel rod thimble, and a Kap Kover are on order. I bought a Skinner peep, and will have it mounted as close to my eye as possible. When I'm done with the trigger and our weather moderates a little (High for today is -5, tomorrow's low is supposed to be -32, but next week we're supposed to have some afternoons in the 40s) I'll continue the search for a good shooting conical. May get into applying my own lube, bullet sizing, and maybe even bullet casting. Hope to do a little more elk hunting during MT's late season, which closes 15 February.

About me? Born in Bozeman, MT (1957), grew up in Pullman WA and Eau Claire WI. West Point (BS) 1979, Stanford (PhD in optical physics) 1987. Served in artillery battalions at Ft. Lewis WA, and in Korea. Spent about 20 years leading government research projects in the Army, Los Alamos (NM) National Lab, and Pacific Northwest National Lab (Richland WA). Retired in 2007, spent several years in ministry, now doing rental real estate for my retirement income. First retirement home was in Ellensburg, WA, but WA has gone so crazy that my wife Tina and I decided that being landlords there is now just too risky. So... we moved to Helena a year ago. Settling in well, but still have property in WA to sell, and need to buy more rentals here in Helena.
Welcome from central Montana, I was 4F just before Vietnam, but have lived in Montana all my 80 some years. I muzzleloader hunt and target shoot. Like all old bloggers, quite a few health problems but still going.
Squint

Welcome from central Montana, I was 4F just before Vietnam, but have lived in Montana all my 80 some years. I muzzleloader hunt and target shoot. Like all old bloggers, quite a few health problems but still going.
Squint
Thank you! My folks brought us back to Montana for family vacations for most of my childhood and teen years, and I have made it back for vacations whenever I could since then, and it's great to be here on a full-time basis.

You're doing great to be hunting and target shooting in your 80s! Having taken care of my parents for their last 12 years, seems to me that the key is pushing through the health problems to stay as active as you can, mentally and physically, in every way that you can, and you're doing that. Looking forward to being on the forum with you.

Welcome from Colorado (Formerly from Oregon and Montana)
I shoot a T/C Hawken 54

Welcom

Well good for you in joining this fine group!
When I was in grammar school I picked Montana as my state to write about. Sadly never been there. I understand that the hunting there is superb! I’m envious of your location!
I was in the Army and worked around “special weapons” with those that worked on them. They were trained at los alamos. Last Century!
I’ve never hunted Big game like Elk.
I shoot a variety of black powder rifles and shotguns for hunting. Pheasant hunting, turkey 🦃 and deer are my favorites!
(1956)
Cu
Pat

Back