help! matthews bow...broadheads off target

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigalojay13

Reaction score
i am having a problem shooting my 100gr thunderheads with my new matthews bow....they are shooting inconsitent and seem to be taking a dive when in flight.........i have no problem with shooting field tips.........last year i just ended up switching to tekken broadheads because i had no time left to mess around before deer season.....(man do they shoot accurate....but after killing a few deer with them i was unsatisfied because they leave a very little hole and very bad blood trails)....i am shooting xt hunter goldtips 5575...i have a mathews drenalin at 70lbs shooting at about 300fps...i am aslo using a wisker bisckit...(same setup from my old bow which i had no problem shooting thunderheads from) any ideas??

i am just guessing here because i do not have your bow in hand but I would say that its a tuning issue. Sounds like your nock point is off a little. Take it to a skilled bowtech and have them give it a look over.

thanks i deff will try that.....i have a question tho ....is there anyone who has had a problem when swithcing to a faster shooting bow? because the differnce between my old bow and new one is probably around 30fps

thats not what is cause the arrow to fly like that.
If your having issues i would first look at draw length to make sure its not to long. Did that change from the old one to the new one?

If the thunderheads are shooting larger groups, several things may be wrong. First, spin test the broadheads. When you are shooting that speed, you really need to make sure the bh is aligned with the arrow shaft. I have seen many thunderheads that were not. Also, check the front of center on your arrows. Are you shooting 4" vanes? If so, your FOC may not be enough to help steer the arrow. Gold Tip has a good arrow builer program on their website that will allow you to get a good idea of your FOC. Also, I would strongly suggest you use as much helical as you can on the vanes to help guide the arrow at that speed. You are underspined with those arrows and the new setup as well, and a gain of 30fps with the new setup would cause that to be worse.

Also, are they shooting larger groups with the BH, or just to a different point of impact. If it is just to a different POI, do a search on broadhead tuning and see how to tune it once you make sure the arrows are right. Has the rest been tuned to that bow since it was set up? Once you have the arrows set, then you can get the bh and field points shooting to the same point of impact. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any more questions on this.

thanks that was useful info i will look into those things....only thing about the helical is i cant shoot them anymore as a have a whisker bisket....i was told by my dealer that set me up that i cant shoot helicals outa a whisker bisket

jigalojay13 said:
thanks that was useful info i will look into those things....only thing about the helical is i cant shoot them anymore as a have a whisker bisket....i was told by my dealer that set me up that i cant shoot helicals outa a whisker bisket

Hmm, I hadn't heard that. I shot feathers with a lot of helical out of a whisker biscuit for a while, seemed to work ok, just didn't care for the WB, I much prefer a fall away type rest. I do know that without at least some offset your arrows probably will not fly straight with fixed blade broadheads. They were talking about just that on Bowhunter TV last night. I guess if you want better blood trails and want to shoot with that setup you could try the rage BHs.

Anytime you get a new bow you should shoot at least 200 shots to get the string to completely stretch. Then take your bow back to a bow tech and have him set the axel to axel length and draw weight back to specs. I believe the drop in your arrows is due to the string stretching. Or your nock could be slipping. Your peep could be slipping also. You may already know this but anytime a Mathews is put on a bow press the limb bolts have to be backed-off 5 turns before it is pressed. If you get a chance you might want to try a drop-away. You do squeeze out a little extra in the accuracy department. I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Whisker buiscut...
4" helical feathers...
Fixed BH
Excellent hunting Combo....what I shoot...sometimes Grimm Reapers. 8)

I shot drop away for years....No more...but good for 3D...still use for that.

You should have your nock point checked.....sounds too high if the arrow dips coming out of the bow.

Back