Help with older CVA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hope I get all the info out and not get too long winded. I have a CVA fire bolt in 50cal. Year if manufacture is 1998. I wanted to shoot Thor bullets, doesn’t like them, keyholes. I tried federal borlocs, doesn’t like them. It does like powerbelts, very accurate. My question is all of the tipped powerbelts I and others have lost deer or the bullets doesn’t seem to open, powerbelts do make a hollow point lead. My question is has anyone used these and know how well they expand or should a try other bullets. I would rather not use a sabot as the bore is tight, it’s mic at .500.

Seems like people either love or hate powerbelts.
I got some a couple years ago, marked way down at Walmart.
They were the 295 grain hollow points.
They actually shot pretty good at paper.
From what I've read, if you don't drive them too fast, they are good for deer hunting.

That’s sounds right. I use to shoot them with my Lyman flintlock Deerstalker. I was able to harvest two deer with them but didn’t like how they performed. Yes the deer were dead so you can say the bullet didn’t fail, but they fragmented almost immediately. It was so long ago that I forgot what charge I used. Since I switched to pure lead conicals I don’t have that fragmentation problem anymore and the deer are just as dead.

Yea it does seem that people either love them or hate them. I like the accuracy and ease of reloading that second bullet. I just didn’t like the preference that I witnessed or heard from others. I may just have to try the lead hollow points and see how they shoot.

Latest posts

Back