High Hopes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of us in North Florida our spring season opens in the morning. Good luck everyone. I'm in high hopes, I've got 2 large local groups of resident hens and both groups are locked down by boss Tom's with multiple sentinels. River ain't high so they are kinda spread out across the ridges and swamps. Gonna give em as much hell as my bad leg will let me...

Sun's up.... in the blind yet? Good luck everyone.

Good luck. Our first season starts April 8th.I have a great place on public land. I've shot lots of turkeys over the years but struck out last year. My brother in law says I call too much. I think he's right.

Rather uneventful this morning. Heard 2 gobblers on the roost at daylight. Sat up on the one that seemed more likely a success, he gobbled twice on the ground gathered his hens and went about his business. Wasn't no calling him away from his ladies. Should've done more scouting and listening yesterday evening and less drinking 😬

@Ninering62 and I were out before dawn and had birds sounding off everywhere before we even called

We saw several large groups of jakes with a few hens, they got within a few feet of us.

Did see three fairly respectable birds well within range but since it was so early we let them walk, though when they came back if they had gotten in range I wouldve dropped the hammer on one of them. Certainly wouldnt have let them pass later in the season, but some real monsters have been around the place so we held off

Back at it tomorrow morning!

Rather uneventful this morning. Heard 2 gobblers on the roost at daylight. Sat up on the one that seemed more likely a success, he gobbled twice on the ground gathered his hens and went about his business. Wasn't no calling him away from his ladies. Should've done more scouting and listening yesterday evening and less drinking 😬
Less drinking…. The hell you say sir! lol
That’s turkey hunting man.
We had an exciting opening morn. We had birds almost close enough to grab.
We are back at it in the morn.

A/C should be here in 10-15 min, we are back at it this morn. If we have birds any closer to us than yesterday, we’ll have turkey tracks on our camo.
Here’s hoping one of these trophy beard draggers comes lumbering in this morn.
Looks like it’s gonna be a decent morn weather wise except for the 97% humidity.

Last edited:
Back