Highbush Cranberry Jelly

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Its was just brought to my attention that I finished the last jar of this jelly. Now I'm wondering how I let that happen.

Highbush Cranberries are a shrub that grows well in Northern Tier States so I'll assume they can be found in northern Wisconsin and in Michigan as well. The 1/4" bright red, round berries are very sour off the bush and they have a very hard black pit inside so fresh, they aren't much good. But extract the juice and use a raspberry jelly recipe and you'll have an extrordinary jelly. Just a hint of tart and a very subtle fruity taste, almost like a raspberry jelly but still not.

The 6 to 8 foot tall bushes frequent gravel roadsides as well as cleared trails thru the woods, likely do to birds that frequent these areas. The flower a white cluster flower in early June in Northern Minnesota so I'd assume a similar time period is upper Wisconsin and upper Michigan. Give or take a week, Labor Day weekend seems to be about the average time to find the ripe berries which a clusters just like the flowers. If you've found these little jewels before and haven't tried the jelly, try it. I'm betting it will become one of your favorites.

Latest posts

Back