How long do you leave unprimed guns loaded?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't understand how this happens. Throw in a corner and forget it? Like throwing 300 to 400 bucks in the corner and forgetting it! Some times things happen like a family emergency, you usually tend to forget about things sometimes. I hope that helps you understand. Not to mention it’s not your $ so why worry about it.

One of my muzzleloaders is still loaded from last month.
I'll be taking it up to the range in the next week or two. It's been stored in the locker, dry inviornment. I'm confident she'll go right off when I prime er up.

Just finished second deer season here in Illinois. I was using my muzzy as I've tagged out on shotgun. It rained and misted the entire time. I think the constant mist is worse then rain IMHO. Barrel tapped and 209 with a barnes 250 tmz in the chamber. It was soo humid and wet the tape kept coming off. But when this guy came trotting by he proved the gun still goes boom.

20231202_102057.jpg

Reloaded it in the field with no tape till I got back to camp. Had the new youth hunter clear the gun at the end of the last day. It went off like it should and she was smiling and surprised she rang the steal target at 100yrds her first shot.

It should never be a tragedy because the gun is always supposed to be pointed in a safe direction. Which it was.
How true. It depends on the intentions of the person holding the gun. Did the person holding the gun INTEND for the gun to be pointed in a safe direction or did it just happen to be pointed in a safe direction? It matters. Because the gun was pointed in a safe direction doesn't mean that was the intention. If so someone isn't really being safe. They just lucked out.

I leave it loaded in the garage till end of season I tie a blaze orange tape on the trigger housing as a reminder its a loaded weapon. If I was using powder other then BH I would shoot out at end of day and reclean barrel.

Back