I feel like "The Sheriff Without a Gun" (Well, at least not a ML)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
View attachment 1000000185.jpg
Well, as you can probably see, I've been stocking up on what I need to get started with my first muzzleloader. Now only if my first muzzleloader would get here! 🤣 It's scheduled for delivery this Tuesday. Hoping to get to the range shortly after to send it on it's maiden voyage. Plan on starting off with the Hornady 240 grain XTPs. I have some preloaded tubes of BH 209, 60, 65 and 70 grains all by weight. Main use will be for whitetail hunting, heavy forest. 60 yard shots at the most.

Oh yeah, CVA Optima V2 Nitride with open sights.

About as ready as you can be. My money is on the XTPs. You've certainly got plenty of the good 209s
That's what I'm thinking, from what I've read here. I bought the Bore Drivers and those other bullets we're not supposed to mention by name last year.

In just one week of being on this forum I've learned a lot from you guys in regards to bullet selection (as well as a lot of other stuff), particularly that I can buy sabots and bullets separately and make up my own for less.

I already reload 9mm, .45 ACP and .223, so now I'll just have a bunch of other components kicking around with them.

That's what I'm thinking, from what I've read here. I bought the Bore Drivers and those other bullets we're not supposed to mention by name last year.

In just one week of being on this forum I've learned a lot from you guys in regards to bullet selection (as well as a lot of other stuff), particularly that I can buy sabots and bullets separately and make up my own for less.

I already reload 9mm, .45 ACP and .223, so now I'll just have a bunch of other components kicking around with them.
Those powerbelts may work really well at 60-70 grain loads. Get up to 80-90 and they are accurate but start fragging

Those powerbelts may work really well at 60-70 grain loads. Get up to 80-90 and they are accurate but start fragging
Thanks for that info. I'm going to attempt to chrono what I shoot and see where I stand. The vast majority of any shots I'd take hunting here are 60 yards and in, so high velocity isn't my biggest concern. I just want to get some good groupings for my hunting needs. I'm sure as time goes on, I'll tweak things to get loads that can accurately reach out further, just to be able to do it.

Well, I'm no longer without a ML. Came yesterday, a day early. Naturally I was at work and didn't get home until this morning, so I was like a little kid knowing I have a present at home. Took it apart, gave it a good cleaning, added a sling and got everything ready for the trip to the range to sight it in. Raining here until Thursday, so with any luck I'll be letting 'em rip when the outdoor range opens up at 0900.

Attachments

• 20221206_181119.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
Thanks. I was holding out for the nitride finish with open sites. I may eventually put a 1-4 scope on it if I find I need it. Most hunting shots here would be within the 60 yard range.

That's a good looking muzzleloader! I bought the accura V2 lr nitride and cerakoted with the thumb hole stock last year. I put a Leupold VX Freedom ultimate slam scope on it. I'm shooting 80grn blackhorn by volume with the xtp 240s and it's a tack driver at 100yds! Good luck sighting it in. Looks like you're well prepared!

Latest posts

Back