I hope this is the right place

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilasWoods

Reaction score
I accidentally signed up on another forum and was surprised to see that it's a D&D tournament for coonskin caps. I guess they're using keyboards made out of corncobs over there, but I already have a different nerd hobby. I mostly just wanted to find some information about loading 3F T7 and round balls for short range deer hunting. Please let me know if any muzzleloading topics have been segregated from this forum as well, but I hope that is not the case here.

Welcome Silas. We will need to know the gun you are shooting. Is it an inline or sidelock? Im guessing inline. Someone will have the info momentarily. In the meantime if you want to go to the search in the upper right hand corner Im sure that will provide some info. I know its been discussed here several times and can be done. Mostly I think with reduced loads of powder.

MK85 i believe he said elsewhere. Great choice btw. I dont think any topic is off limits here, except politics kind of. Idk if you want that coonskin hat but i’ll bet someone here can teach how to make one, sell you one, or buy one if you win it. Here at MML we dabble in a little bit of everything. Just beware, we are a big bunch of enablers who won’t tell you not to buy something.

Thanks guys. Yes, I do have an MK-85. I sort of do want the coonskin cap, but my wife already laughs at me for eating squirrels. The cap would bring the whole thing too far out into the open. I'm also afraid that I'll get shot if I wear one in the field because racoons don't come in neon orange and furry brown things get shot first and identified later.

Your memory is way better than mine. :D
I was impressed also. Haha

That's actually my ml in the avatar pic there. It has an excellent 1980's camo pattern on it. Every firearm I own is blued with walnut, but I really liked the pattern on this stock and I was very surprised to find a $300 gun with a $200 trigger on it!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231021-202544.png
    Screenshot_20231021-202544.png
    366.3 KB · Views: 0
If you’re in Houston, I’m just a couple hours north of you. I picked up a couple MK85’s last year, and they’re great guns. I’m using 60 grains T7 with a 350 gr cast bullet in a Harvester crush rib sabot. That combo worked great.
IMG_3002.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Yes, I do have an MK-85. I sort of do want the coonskin cap, but my wife already laughs at me for eating squirrels. The cap would bring the whole thing too far out into the open. I'm also afraid that I'll get shot if I wear one in the field because racoons don't come in neon orange and furry brown things get shot first and identified later.
I had to laugh at this. I can see her calling you Jed Clampett or similar!! Your MK85 will shoot round balls but don't expect too much accuracy out of them. The twist rate is more designed for a conical or saboted bullet. But if you desire to shoot round balls then a light charge of 50-60 gr of T7 FFFg probably wouldn't shoot too bad. Be a good plinking load too. I've never tried a round ball in a barrel with that fast a twist so I'm just surmising.

I had to laugh at this. I can see her calling you Jed Clampett or similar!! Your MK85 will shoot round balls but don't expect too much accuracy out of them. The twist rate is more designed for a conical or saboted bullet. But if you desire to shoot round balls then a light charge of 50-60 gr of T7 FFFg probably wouldn't shoot too bad. Be a good plinking load too. I've never tried a round ball in a barrel with that fast a twist so I'm just surmising.
Hey squirrel is fine eating, much better than possum!

Hey squirrel is fine eating, much better than possum!
Have eaten many a squirrel in my +67 years, even had chicken with multiple legs. Dad later admitted that they came from our pond. At the time, I didn't know that chickens were aquatic and went ribbit, ribbit!

Back