I'm having fun.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick White

Reaction score
After a lousy start yesterday I had a blast today.

Ok yesterday I took a button buck which is not what I wanted. I went in and got in my tree using my climber (first time I've used it). Around 8:00 I had a pair of deer to my left but couldn't shoot. At about 20 yards (still could not shoot as they were not on the property) the doe spotted me. They left slowly and it appeared they'd cross over to where I could shoot but didn't. A half hour after they left another pair come in from the other side. This looked like another doe and fawn. I gave them a few minutes to see if anything follwed them and then took the bigger doe.

An 80 yd shot with my muzzleloader and it dropped. The smaller one spooked but came right back and started stamping it's feet while looking at the other one. It seemed like it was saying "come on lets go". It let me swab my barrel twice and reload. I then watched it for a few minutes to let it go since I didn't want to spook it. It wouldn't go so I took a few pictures with my digital camera and then started down. That finally did it. I got to my deer and uh...

deer.jpg

Pictures of the smaller one. She was about 20 yds away when I took these.

fawn.jpg

fawn2.jpg

I've still got my either sex tag and so on to today.

This morning I was exausted and ended up coming in early for a nap. I went to my inlaws and was sent to the spot my father in law took a really nice buck. After bing there for an hour I was a fork heading west (left) 50 yds in front of me. I let him go since I wanted a bigger buck. A few minutes later I saw him bed down in a wide open pasture 109 yds away (ok so I ranged him :lol: ). I also got a bunch of pics but my camera has no zoom so he's a blur. I watched him for a half hour when a doe ran from behind me down the hill towards the buck who was now moving and feeding. 15 minutes after her a fawn ran down the hill. They hung around the buck and fed in the pasture too.

A little later I saw the buck heading up the hill towards me. I first grabbed my Extreme but then changed my mind and set it down and grabbed my camera.

fork.jpg

This is 15 yards away from me! :shock: He never spooked and went about his business. A half hour later I heard a shot from the direction he headed and wonder if he bought it but felt good about my decision to pass him anyway.

I still have tomorow and am heading back to the same spot. Of course if I shoot anything it's a 400 yd drag. :(

excellent story, photos, and a nice eating deer there. Congratulations.

Nice going! I love to hear the stories; everyone who hunts can relate to tall those little details - and that's what makes hunting so exciting - never knowing for sure the deer will come in range, if you'll get the shot, etc.

Congrats.

Way to go! Patrick! At least you got some action today. All I had was a big doe with a nice buck following her @ 110yds. Got ready to take the shot,and they spooked,and ran back South. Here came three guys walking around. They didn't even know I was there until I whistled,and that scared them. Oh well, there's allways tomorrow. :( Ron

That was all first season. I went out thursday afternoon but saw nothing. I haven't been out hunting since. I had to dig out my wife's car yesterday and dug my car out today. I hurt my back and sprained my right elbow again. :( This is the worst season I can remember in a long time. I've got an either sex tag but cannot go hunting. It looks like I'll have to use it during the late season if I can find someone to watch my 7 yr old.

Back