Jcchartboy rocks the Rockfish...!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

After achieving a major milestone last week with the landing of our first 48"-40+lb striper, Mel and I were certainly prepared to spend another great many years before either of us would be contemplating catching a striper of either comparable length, or weight. (Keep in mind, when discussing spring run fish, individual length-to-weight ratios can vary wildly as the presence of eggs or stomach contents have a disproportionate relationship to weight and length; as opposed to fall fish that are generally in much more health/stable body conditions resulting in highly predicatable correlation of length-to-weight relationships ....(or in other words...in the spring both weight and length take on there own unique values when it comes to describing trophy fish.. )

Fortunately, having spent a number of years chasing large bass, both Mel and learned long ago never to sit on the laurels of catching a single good fish. In fact, the most defining characteristic of most successful fisherman we know is the ability to capitalize on prime conditions and to make the most of the those few days/weeks when conditions are most conducive to the presence of large fish.

Along those lines, I was out fishing at 4am the next morning after the night we caught the 42lber mentioned above. While other obligations filed most of the week, I was able to get back into full swing last night and to put in a great all night outing....

I am happy to say it paid it off big time....In less than one week I virtually matched our own personal largest fish record...with another 47+" Striper last night!

While this was fish almost identical in length to the cow we caught last week, I will note it was no where near the size in terms of weight, (The vagaries of spring fish). The fish, which had recently spawned out, had nothing in its sagging stomach and weighed a disproportionately low 32lbs. (Statistically speaking most fish with an overall length of 47" are usually 40+lbers.)

However, to say that I am extremely pleased with last nights success, and this entire weeks in particular, goes without saying!!!

To top everything else off....I also took both a 15lb and 17lb fish last night as well!!!

Man..this is one heck of a way to start the season!!

JC

Last nights landings....47"-32lbs...... 38"-17lbs...... 36"-15lbs...

32lbs.jpg

17lbs.jpg

15-lbs.jpg

JC,
To say I am a little envious of your success is an understatement. I wish our fishery here would turn out fish that big. However I have been striper fishing long enough to know that even though you are obviously fishing a great location, consistently catching big stripers requires a lot of perserverance and knowledge. I think one of the reasons more people here in Indiana don't fish for them is because of the difficulty involved. Congratulations on your success and hope you can break the 50lb barrier soon.
Rifleman

Back