Limbsaver/cabelas question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
I haven't even fired my new Tikka 300WSM yet and I'm already thinking I need a Limbsaver. Everyone I know tell me it's gonna beat me up. Recoil doesn't bother me too much but it might influence my shooting a little at the range. I've checked my local store and they had one in grind your self. Not an option for me. I could make quite a mess of it. They also had some ready made to fit, but not for my rifle. I checked on line at cabelas and they they have what I want. What I'm wondering is has anyone tried a prefit one and how close was it to the proper fit.

IME the prefits are hit & miss affair. Best bet is go to simms website and print off the templates (make sure they are to scale) and check them with your rifle with the factory pad removed.

Another option is a grind to fit and if your not introduced in tackling the project your gunsmith will. Its worth a call or talk with your smith about what options you have (simms or Pachmyer Decels both work very well - the later being what most gunsmiths here will likely suggest/stock). Since your thinking of buying state side it may not be that much more of investment but your gauranteed it'll work :wink: ! Also consider the length of pull may change and how will that effect eye/scope positioning, ER and your shooting style. The simms is a 1" pad, not sure what the tikka has on it so maybe prudent to measure it up prior to making any decision.

Of course if your just worried about the range a PAST shoulder pad maybe worth consider as well.

http://www.pastshooting.com/past.html

With all that said and while I personally use such pads, as I know they make my range time more enjoyable (well maybe post range time more). I maybe inclined to at least rattle off a few shots before pulling out the VISA. I know the range is out here but the country isn't...why not head out to a safe location and do a little prelim sightin/fact finding mission of your own. The armchair QB's might be right on but then again they might not be either :lol:

GL

SKhunter, you've got plenty of good suggestions. First off I had planned to shoot it first before I buy anything. Just after I bought I was in the store looking at the Limbsavers and one of the guys introduced me to another Tikka 300WSM owner and asked him what he thought of the recoil and he said it wasn't bad. However this young guy was as big as an ox and probably wouldn't notice being hit by a truck :wink: :D
As far as going out to shot it, I have considered it but what's important to me is how the rifle fits at the bench. Out in the country the rifle will be held differently and it's range recoil I'm concerned with.
Everyone I've spoken to have recommended the Limbsaver. On the cabelas sight I've read some of the reports written by users. All highly recommend the limbsaver over all others.
Length of pull won't be an issue. If fact if it makes the stock a little longer, it'll be a little better for me.
I saw the templates and I'll take another look at those.
That link looks good. Do you know what's in that pad.

RAF, good enough. As I said the addition of an aftermarket recoil pad is not a bad thing. I have shoulder problems, either the simms or decels have made difference. Majority of my rifles have one or the other, it seems hard to go back to a factory pad after you get accustomed to one these aftermarket pads on the bench.

PAST pads are made of a foam material.

I finally made a decision and order the prefit limbsaver from cabelas. While on their site also saw a strap on shoulder pad. Ordered it too. Shouldn't need it for the 300 WSM but plan on using it with other rifles, especially the savage ML

My limb saver arrived in the mail today. Checked it over and seems a lot softer than any other recoil pad. Mounted it on my rifle this evening. Was concerned it wouldn't fit right but it does, perfectly. Weather here is now getting better, so if everything goes well, Should be at the range on Saturday to give this thing a try. Won't ever know if it reduces felt recoil 'cause never shot it yet. Any way, will zero it with factory loads and then start the process of working up a load for my use.

New limb saver worked as advertised. Fired 50 rounds out of the new 300 WSM and shoulder is just fine. got a bit of headache though. The rifle packs a pretty good wallup and jarrs the old nogun :? . Fixed that though. When I got home had a couple liquid refreshments and I'm good to go :D

i also have a .300wsm BROWNING A-BOLT S/S STALKER with a BOSS so recoil is not too bad ..i removed the recoil pad [which was more of a hockey puck ] and installed a sims limbsaver ...big difference ..i hurt my shoulder the 22 of may and it is still sore but getting better..[old age is catching up with me ] hahahahah ..

Latest posts

Back