Live test of the Hornady 200 grain SST-Shockwave version

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
The proof is in the puddin' :D
200sst.jpg

Shot from a Knight Disc Elite over 115 grains 777 ffg.
Distance was 168 lazer verified yards.
Entered the doe's right flank, traversing forward through the gut, taking out the left lung, a rib and lodging its self just under the skin on the other side.

Deer traveled 80 yards...left very little blood trail.
Final weight of the 200 grain bullet was 183.5 grains.
Expansion diameter is 5/8" (.625)

No wind, LOTS of PRACTICE and confidence in my gun allowed me to take this shot. Certainly not the ideal set up for a shot, but it was the final few minutes of shooting hours and I had a tag to fill.

No pics of the doe, just a live range report on the SST under REAL conditions.
8)

After shooting a number of deer at varying yardages with this bullet, I can say I really do have lots of confidence in it.

bullet performance

Shooting the 200 grain shoot wave with 115 grains of 777 penatration will never be a problem. A perfect example that apicture is worth a thousand bullets.

Choc-dog

Thanks for the info Spit!

Results like that are hard to argue. I would not hesitate to use that bullet! I saw some impressive performance this weekend with the 250 SW's and am starting to wonder what all the "buzz" is about? These bullets flat out PERFORM!

Thanks for the report! Congrats on meat in the freezer!

Awesome report Spit!!

I have a couple questions about your bullet. First, what calibre is it......I'm assuming this was shot from your new .45?

And secondly, is the 200 grain SST shot from a 45 more comparable in SD and BC to a 250gr sst or more like a 300gr SST that would be shot from a 50cal?

I'm just trying to translate your results to what I'm using, if that's possible? I think bullets of similiar SD and BC, even if they are different calibres should perform similiarly.

And, Congratulations on the doe and nice shot :partyman:

Very good questions Nut.....

BTW the diameter of the bullet is .400 (10mm) found in both 45 and 50 caliber sabots. Available from Hornaday as the SST in 45 caliber only, or from TC as the 50 caliber 200 grain Shockwave.

Mine was shot from a 50 caliber and was the Shockwave.

I think the only difference between 50 and 45 would be the sabot and the twist. Given everything remains the same between the two, I would think they would perform equally. Even the velocity should be the same. Right?
Am I on the right track here? Someone else chime in......any SD and BC boys out there?

Okay, I looked it up and found some info on Chuck Hawks courtesy RW.

200 (40 cal)SST SD .179 BC .211
250 (45 cal)SST SD .176 BC .207

So, very close in the numbers, hopefully in performance too!!

Hornadays website lists the BC of the 200 SST @ .265.......
Depends on who ya wanna beleeeve :? :)

Spitpatch said:
Hornadays website lists the BC of the 200 SST @ .265.......
Depends on who ya wanna beleeeve :? :)

I believe Mr. Big6x6 ... He has accurate bc's for the velocity we shoot!

The last time I figured a BC for that bullet(.40cal SST/Shockwave 200gr) ..it was .216-.220....not really THAT much different than the 300gr.

I have now shot 4 or 5 deer with this bullet. A couple out of a .50, and a couple out of a .45. Both work well.

On deer size game, this bullet works so well that I don't see the need for the bonded version. I like the 200 gr weight, too. With 100 gr of 2f 777, I got just under 2000 fps on my chrono. Good trajectory for woods hunting.

Spitpatch which breechplug are you using in your 50 Elite ?

Back