Loading BP Cartridges for barrel length

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to try hand loading BP cartridges for my my Sharps, Trap door and Henry Single Shot 45-70s. The barrel lengths vary from 34", 32" & 22". Should I adapt each load for the barrel length? Would I use Swiss 1F in the 34", 1F or 1.5F in the 32" and 2F or 3F in the 22" barrels?
Or is the load independent of the barrel length?

I am going to try hand loading BP cartridges for my my Sharps, Trap door and Henry Single Shot 45-70s. The barrel lengths vary from 34", 32" & 22". Should I adapt each load for the barrel length? Would I use Swiss 1F in the 34", 1F or 1.5F in the 32" and 2F or 3F in the 22" barrels?
Or is the load independent of the barrel length?
The load is independant of barrel length usually. Swiss f can give excellent accuracy in the longer barrels. It was my go-to powder in my 45-100 at 1000 yds. My other 45-100 likes Swiss 1 1/2. The 40-70 SS likes Swiss FF. You will never find out what grade of powder your rifles like until you try them all. Nothing is engraved in stone. Finding a bullet that your rifle likes is just as important as finding the right powder. X

Since with real black you can't have any air space, your only real choice is to vary the powder type/granulation and bullet. Maybe play with crimping, etc.

Personally for a cartridge gun I'd really stick with smokeless and if using an original then staying with proven BP pressure level loads only

Back