Long range success! (intentional accident!)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I posted this on a different thread figured this is a better place.

Well, I got to put the 52-510m in my Knight Disc Extreme to work on a decent blacktail yesterday.

So first a disclaimer, I made a stupid shot and got lucky, in no way would I recommend doing this. This is in Oregon where we are restricted to only use open sights. I debated posting this but figured why not.

I shot this buck at 238 yards…. I was watching him chase a doe in the bottom of a unit and laid down, put my sights on him and he stopped, I said screw it and squeezed the trigger thinking I would at best miss and at worst put my tracking skills to work. I let my emotions get the best of me. The disc extreme barked and I lost sight of them in the smoke, then I heard a crash. I Figured I was close enough to scare the buck and heard him fly into the brush. I walked down kicking myself for taking such an unethical shot and and found him piled up 20yrds from where he was when I shot.

The second photo is where I was when I shot. Kinda where the crappy red arrow is. That Tall scotch broom on the ridge is almost as Tall as I am. The buck was by the stump. I shot hit him square in the heart.
Bullet cleanly passed through, exit hole was slightly larger then entrance. I am getting almost 1500fps with 95gr by volume T7. And using 40-1 lead. Sights are Williams FP rear sight and Williams Western Precision fiber optic globe front.

Attachments​

• IMG_0446.jpeg
    IMG_0446.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0454.jpeg
    IMG_0454.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0456.jpeg

I posted this on a different thread figured this is a better place.

Well, I got to put the 52-510m in my Knight Disc Extreme to work on a decent blacktail yesterday.

So first a disclaimer, I made a stupid shot and got lucky, in no way would I recommend doing this. This is in Oregon where we are restricted to only use open sights. I debated posting this but figured why not.

I shot this buck at 238 yards…. I was watching him chase a doe in the bottom of a unit and laid down, put my sights on him and he stopped, I said screw it and squeezed the trigger thinking I would at best miss and at worst put my tracking skills to work. I let my emotions get the best of me. The disc extreme barked and I lost sight of them in the smoke, then I heard a crash. I Figured I was close enough to scare the buck and heard him fly into the brush. I walked down kicking myself for taking such an unethical shot and and found him piled up 20yrds from where he was when I shot.

The second photo is where I was when I shot. Kinda where the crappy red arrow is. That Tall scotch broom on the ridge is almost as Tall as I am. The buck was by the stump. I shot hit him square in the heart.
Bullet cleanly passed through, exit hole was slightly larger then entrance. I am getting almost 1500fps with 95gr by volume T7. And using 40-1 lead. Sights are Williams FP rear sight and Williams Western Precision fiber optic globe front.

Attachments​

• IMG_0446.jpeg
    IMG_0446.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0454.jpeg
    IMG_0454.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0456.jpeg
Nice shot

Nice work! That looks like a nice blacktail The ones I have seen have been or appeared to be much smaller.

Nice work! That looks like a nice blacktail The ones I have seen have been or appeared to be much smaller.
He is a good representation of a blacktail. Guessing maybe 4.5. Just mature. They do get a bit bigger but we are on the back side of the rut and most of big old guys go almost completely nocturnal even during the rut. But they do poke their heads out from time to time.

Latest posts

Back