Looking for an opinion on a traditional percussion muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a percussion traditional. My brother has the T/C Hawken so I would like to get something different, at least for my first one. Has anyone had any experience with a Lyman Great Plains or Trade rifles. I know Mulely has T/C renegades and now a New Englander. I just need a starting point. I know "nothing" about them but they look like they will be fun to shoot.

Thanks,

Joe

I've had 3 Lyman Great Plains Rifles. Great guns, and much closer to a real Hawken than the TC versions. It is a bit heavy with the 32" barrel, and you need to get used to the curved butt plate. You don't shoulder it like a gun with a flat butt plate. It's very accurate.

The Great Plains Rifle has a 1-60 twist, and it for a round ball. It's too slow of a twist to shoot conicals well.

The Great Plains Hunter is exactly the same gun, but it has a 1-32 twist, and is made to shoot conicals.

So, decide what bullets you plan to shoot, and pick the version made for them.

I forgot. You asked about the Trade gun too. It's a compromise, and similar to the TC guns. It has a 1-48 twist, and will shoot a round ball and a conical pretty good. It's lighter with a shorter barrel, and it has a more friendly butt plate.

It very similar to the Hawken that Cabelas sells. Same gun made by the same company, but Cabelas has some addons like a parch box, and a 1" longer barrel. Plus some brass hardware. I like the Lyman version better, and it's cheaper than the Cabelas. Unless you catch the Cabelas on sale.

If you're like me you will buy all 3 the guns.... :lol: Just love old guns , can't keep my hands off them.

I feel I must suggest you look at a Traditions Deerhunter. They are good shooters, have adjustable single triggers, and are drilled and tapped for a scope. The open sights on them are cheap but you can replace them. You might even decide to remove them for closer mounting of the scope to the barrel. Just get some sight screw hole plug screws from Traditions when you order the gun. They are not fancy rifles but I love them.

That crappy sights seem to be a problem with almost all off these repro guns , i'm buzy fitting a set of 1863 Enfield sights to my 1:48 Hawken .

Better yet find one in flint .... Then you don't have to worry about caps !

Spitfire said:
Better yet find one in flint .... Then you don't have to worry about caps !
Good grief! Why do you think they converted flints to caplock in the old days?

So that we can buy the caps that they invented... :lol: Nothing like lighting off a flinty and hitting the target !

Nothing like a flash in the pan, or the built in delay that flints have too.

I won't even mention rain, or worn flints that you thought would work one more time. :clown:

At the range yes. Not so much when you miss a critter.

I remember once I worked my but off to get close to a nice muley. Lined it up, and squeezed the trigger...click! I look in the pan, and it was empty. All the prime had leaked out.

Percussion caps can't leak out. :clown:

Before you say it. I keep a small piece of leather between the cap and hammer while hunting. When I cock the hammer the leather slips off, and it's tied to the trigger guard. Fool proof system so far.

Hav'nt tried hunting with my flinty yet , like you say the caps are much more convenient. I normally carry my gun with an empty nipple capping when i see an animal worth shooting.

Back