Looking for recommendations my 45 caliber handguns...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a single bullet that can be used for long range accuracy (200 yards max with 460 SW) while still packing lethal energy appropriate for Muleys to White Tails.
This bullet will be used in the following guns..

Freedom Arms 7.5" 454 Casull 1-24 Twist
SW PC 10" 460 Mag Gain Twist Rifling
Wildey Survivor 10" 45 Mag (Not sure of twist rate)
Ruger American 450 Bushmaster 1-16 Twist

To start things off, I really like the 250g Barnes Tipped TSX. The bullet diameter looks right at 0.451, has an Aero-tip, and the bullet profile is sexy.

What say you?

Speer 300 grain deep curl would fill this role nicely. I shoot this bullet in my Omega in a 50/45 sabot also with great results on deer. Father-in-law shoots the same load in his Omega and kills deer every year.

I'm looking for a single bullet that can be used for long range accuracy (200 yards max with 460 SW) while still packing lethal energy appropriate for Muleys to White Tails.
This bullet will be used in the following guns..

Freedom Arms 7.5" 454 Casull 1-24 Twist
SW PC 10" 460 Mag Gain Twist Rifling
Wildey Survivor 10" 45 Mag (Not sure of twist rate)
Ruger American 450 Bushmaster 1-16 Twist

To start things off, I really like the 250g Barnes Tipped TSX. The bullet diameter looks right at 0.451, has an Aero-tip, and the bullet profile is sexy.

What say you?
That's a tall order, have to slug all the barrels and cylinders in each gun. most freedom arms are sized at .452 at least mine are

Yes sir, it is a tall order. You have a good point regarding bullet/bore fit, but for now let's consider all bullet diameters between 0.451 and 0.452 work equally well. In other words what other features are 'must haves' for this "across the board" perfect 45 bullet...
Should it have a pointed shock tip for long accuracy?
Other bullet nose configurations in addition to beep curl?
Should it be all copper, all lead, copper plated, copper jacketed?
At a minimum the bullet must ethically kill a White Tail at 200y with 460SW.
Once you've settled on your perfect bullet characteristics, are there any catalogued/off the shelf bullets that closely match?
Thanks again
H

Im thinking that you may want to use hollowpoints, just to maximize their affect at those longer ranges. If your shooting from shorter barrels then consider bullets designed for lower velocity. Controlled fracturing would probably be my first choices.

A friend killed a large WV doe with his SW 460 with gain twist barrel same as yours freedom arms off hand @ 200+ yds with a 200ftx at around 2200fps mv. I have killed several deer with the same bullet in a sabot sml 50cal at about same mv. Always an exit wound, short recovery or drt.

Just to be clear- you are wanting to shoot a whitetail/muley with your .460 S & W revolver at a distance up to 200 yrds?
That's correct Harley.
When the SW460 first came out, I purchased a Performance Center with a barrel length, IIRC, of approximately 8.375" including compensator. It was one of the originals having a serial number of 0038.
Using the Hornady factory loads 200g (SST or FTX, can't remember which), I could stay on a pie pan @ 200 yards with no problems. The gun was rested.
Loved it and took a dandy doe at ~180 yards that season. Then came the recall notice.
Apparently there were reports of metallurgic problems and I had to send the gun back for hardness proofing. Several weeks later it was returned, but the quality issue remained lingering in the back of my noggin and as mentioned, this was very early production. I decided to sell it and wait for a few years to ensure all of the bugs were ironed out.
Fast forward 15 years or so, I picked up another PC with a 10" barrel last winter. This time I'm reloading for it, as well as my other 45 caliber rifles/handguns, thus my inquiry to the brotherhood here.

That's correct Harley.
When the SW460 first came out, I purchased a Performance Center with a barrel length, IIRC, of approximately 8.375" including compensator. It was one of the originals having a serial number of 0038.
Using the Hornady factory loads 200g (SST or FTX, can't remember which), I could stay on a pie pan @ 200 yards with no problems. The gun was rested.
Loved it and took a dandy doe at ~180 yards that season. Then came the recall notice.
Apparently there were reports of metallurgic problems and I had to send the gun back for hardness proofing. Several weeks later it was returned, but the quality issue remained lingering in the back of my noggin and as mentioned, this was very early production. I decided to sell it and wait for a few years to ensure all of the bugs were ironed out.
Fast forward 15 years or so, I picked up another PC with a 10" barrel last winter. This time I'm reloading for it, as well as my other 45 caliber rifles/handguns, thus my inquiry to the brotherhood here.
Ok, I own the same gun- Bone Collector edition- purchased it about 5 years ago. Have taken a few deer with it-1 very nice 10pt buck at 70 yards. What kind of scope do you have on there for shooting out to 200yrds? You must be a hell of a shot with that thing. I would use some ballistic software to see what the best loads would be for maintaining enough energy for the bullet to expand at that distance out of a 10 inch barrel. Without thinking about it too much, I would just load it hot with a 200gr FTX. I use FTX bullets for all my big bore hunting pistols (I'm not shooting out to 200yrds though either).

I've been handgun hunting with my freedom arms 454 since 1990 200 yards is a looooong shot not saying it can't be done but I'd pass and try getting closer. As far as bullets I only use freedom arms bullets I know they don't make them but they can still be found I have enough for the rest of my life. You do not want to use a inferior bullet they will not hold up to extreme velocities I would use different bullets in each gun sized properly and made to withstand the pressures and velocities not to mention the game your shooting at. Imo

@ 03Mossy, I've heard good things about Deep Curls over the years. Any experience with them in centerfire cartridges?
@ Harley, I've been fortunate to have the same hunting land over the last 24 years and installed a permanent blind with adjustable shooting bench. This provides a very stable platform for hand gun hunting as well. My scope is a Leupold 2.5-8 x 32. As for my shooting prowess, as I pull the trigger I pray I at least hit the air..
@ michimuz, Good points. Given today's 'new' bullet making technologies, the argument between using aero-tips vs hollowpoints vary. Since pistol bullets don't have high BCs by design, does adding tips to pistol style bullets improve aerodynamic efficiency enough to matter? I know the factory Hornady 200 grain SSTs were very accurate in my first gun, but I never tried hollowpoints. Wished I had.
@ muzztuf, I bring up the criteria for 200yd serious/accurate smackdown using the 460 as a baseline, as I'm comfortable and familiar with it. The 454 Casull is an awesome cartridge, but so far I've never fired at anything more than 100 yards (all at paper). I figured with the 460, there's no need to hunt with the 454, until now. Got an itch I can't seem to scratch.
Given the S%#t Shows of 2020 & 2021, and the resulting shortages of ammo and reloading supplies, I ask myself what 45 caliber bullet is closest to 'perfect' for interchangeable use across the following rifles and handguns. Relisted here due to corrections/additions. No blackpowder at this time, just centerfire..

Rifles:
Ruger American "Go Wild" 450 Bushmaster - Barrel length is 22" with a 1-16 twist rifling
Thompson Center Encore S&W 460 Magnum - Custom (Bullberry) Barrel length is 22" with a 1-16 twist rifling
Handguns:
S&W Performance Center 460 Magnum - Barrel length is 10" with a "Gain Twist" rifling
Wildey 45 Win Mag - Barrel Length is 10" (still trying to determine rifling)
Colt SAA 45 LC - Barrel Length is 7.5" with a 1-16" twist rifling

Once again, should the perfect bullet...
have a pointed shock tip for 'long' accuracy?
be all copper, all lead, copper plated, copper jacketed?
have cannelures?
have a nose configuration other than deep curl or hollow point?

Other points or questions?

Thanks again

@ 03Mossy, I've heard good things about Deep Curls over the years. Any experience with them in centerfire cartridges?
@ Harley, I've been fortunate to have the same hunting land over the last 24 years and installed a permanent blind with adjustable shooting bench. This provides a very stable platform for hand gun hunting as well. My scope is a Leupold 2.5-8 x 32. As for my shooting prowess, as I pull the trigger I pray I at least hit the air..
@ michimuz, Good points. Given today's 'new' bullet making technologies, the argument between using aero-tips vs hollowpoints vary. Since pistol bullets don't have high BCs by design, does adding tips to pistol style bullets improve aerodynamic efficiency enough to matter? I know the factory Hornady 200 grain SSTs were very accurate in my first gun, but I never tried hollowpoints. Wished I had.
@ muzztuf, I bring up the criteria for 200yd serious/accurate smackdown using the 460 as a baseline, as I'm comfortable and familiar with it. The 454 Casull is an awesome cartridge, but so far I've never fired at anything more than 100 yards (all at paper). I figured with the 460, there's no need to hunt with the 454, until now. Got an itch I can't seem to scratch.
Given the S%#t Shows of 2020 & 2021, and the resulting shortages of ammo and reloading supplies, I ask myself what 45 caliber bullet is closest to 'perfect' for interchangeable use across the following rifles and handguns. Relisted here due to corrections/additions. No blackpowder at this time, just centerfire..

Rifles:
Ruger American "Go Wild" 450 Bushmaster - Barrel length is 22" with a 1-16 twist rifling
45 LC - Barrel Length is 7.5" with a 1-16" twist rifling
Ive got the same rifle and have gotten started reloading for it and some 45LC for my ROA conversion. Ive got lots of DCs and XTPs if you want to try some out. Ive also got a few 240 XTP mag bullets.

Back