Maxi ball lube

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elite-50

Reaction score
Getting back into side lock percussion and was wondering what you guys use to lube the {grooves} in a maxi?

That's the way with me, been inline since the first ones came out. Keep hearing of maybe Indiana having a season for sidelocks only and thought i better be ready and it was a good excuse to buy anothe rifle.

SOLID BULLET LUBE ....

2 oz. Beeswax (4 tablespoons)
8 oz. Castor oil (16 tablespoons)
1 oz Murphy's Oil Soap (2 tablespoons)

Melt the bees wax in a double boiler system. A coffee can and another can work fine. Once the wax is liquid, add to the wax the Castor Oil. Then stir/mix the two together. They well clump together some, but keep stirring. As they heat up they do combine together. Also a scum will form on the surface of the mix. This is the impurities in the beeswax I was told. Skim that off. Once there is no more scum forming (or very little), stir the devil out of it and then add the Murphy's Oil Soap. This will make a nice smooth looking paste wax, frothy lube. Simply set it off the heat and let it harden. If it is too hard for your liking, add more Castor Oil. If it is too soft, add more wax.

The solid lube will really surprise you how well it takes heat and cold. It does not break down like bore butter can on hot summer days.

This is an excellent conical bullet lube, it also works well to waterproof your leather boots. Remember, this smells like honey, so if you wear leather honey smelling boots in bear country, things could get exciting.

this lube was made/invented by a fellow called Stumpkiller as was the liquid lube I made reference to. He was kind enough to share it on a forum so I do the same, but I did want to make mention of who was responsible for these lubes

Track Of The Wolf dot com sells Bear Grease that I have been happy with. I purchased my Ballets from their also.

I use TC lube and Luber.............just squeeze and poke an other one thru.
They quit making the maxi luber, but you can still find them!

BCS

I had one of them many years ago. I loaned it to a friend that was going to borrow it and lube up a couple hundred maxi ball and that was the last I ever saw of it.

I have seen them on E-bay once and a fellow ran into a bunch of them at a gun show and bought them all up.. he did not want to part with one, so I just still dip my finger in the lube and smear it around... :D

When I shot sidelock I used a lot of maxiballs, and I eventually started pouring my own minies. I always used the Thompson lube and was never disappointed.

they do show up on e-bay once in a while when I can remember to look for them. Otherwise those conical lube application things are hard to find.

Um, in answer to the original question, Yes, I lube the grooves on my minnies and maxi's.

Um, in answer to the original question, Yes, I lube the grooves on my minnies and maxi's.

Back