Michigan Youth Hunt spawns a new muzzleloader shooter!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
They say a picture's worth a 1000 words...

DSC00995.jpg

This is my daughter Gabe and this past weekend, she shot this 134# doe at 80 yards and center punched the heart. The doe blew through our stand and we actually stalked out in the field to get the shot. The doe sensed us and took off on a dead run. Having watched Randy Anderson stop Coyotes on Primos with a bark, I barked at the doe and she stopped dead and looked back at us. Resting on our stoney point shooting sticks (sorry for the plugs but if any commercial entity is reading, we would love a corporate sponsor!) Gabe touched it off and there was no doubt in my mind that she hammered her. To top this all off, I bought this disc elite from Shawn T here on the site and have spent hours at the range with Gabe teaching her the art of muzzleloading and building her self confidence while shooting. There is no taking her back to shotgun hunting, she is absolutely hooked on the "one shot challenge"!

DSC01000.jpg

On day two of the hunt, I took this young man out for another round. Unfortunately, his father passed away at a very young age 6 months ago and his mom was reluctant to let him go alone. I took him to the same farm that Gabe scored on and he took this doe. I realize that it is a small one but southern Michigan is crawling with them and the farmer specifically asked us to harvest does if we were able. He sized it up for quite some time before deciding to harvest her and she was travelling totally alone. I was really impressed that he glassed her for minutes making sure he didn't mistakenly shoot a button buck.

Both kids helped me butcher and donated a large portion of the meat back to the farmer that let us hunt his land. Sadly, he said that this was the first time he was rewarded that way by anyone that he had let hunt his farm. I think the kids solidified their place on that farm for the future.

For the sake of brevity let me suggest that any of you who hasn't tried this do so. This experience proved to be as rewarding for me personally as any deer I've ever shot. I am sure that I have secured two young hunters that will add to our shrinking numbers. Thanks to Shawn T for assisting me in making this happen!!!

Hopefully more success to follow!
Darrell

Good story and pics. The next generation will be critical to the continuation of our sport. Thanks for sharing.

Kudos to you Corpe Nimrod. Taking new hunters out is the only way to slow down the diminishing numbers of hunters. I think it is great that you take your daughter hunting, and even better that you are taking the young man.

I'm 41, took my first deer last year because a guy was willing to help out someone who wanted to hunt. He is one of my best friends now, and I will never forget what he did for me. I hope to return the favor by helping other who are interested in learning myself oneday.

Nice does!

That is a great story! Thanks for sharing and you really did a great job!

Congrats!

Very nice Darrell! Thanks for sharing

I hope to introduce my boss to hunting this year. He has never been although he loves to go to the shooting range and shoot his guns.

I think I am going to plan a surprise Exotic Hunt or something similar so that he can enjoy the things that we all do.

Latest posts

Back